Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SWD prophylactic sprays

Posted by plumhillfarm 4b (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 14:08

What are people doing for SWD sprays for cherries (and everything else as well) in the north east?

I read they can attack cherries 21 days before they are ripe, so it is time to act.

Entrust? Others? What schedule?

THanks, Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SWD prophylactic sprays

SWD is a problem in the northeast. They haven't really come out in full force yet. I spray with triazicide a spectricide product. Works for me. Mrs. G

o

I have em by my raspberries. I suspect they're localized in the soil so maybe a spinosad soil drench is the way to go if you know where they are, like in my case.

o

Eric,
I have been following the movement of SWD into VT as well.
Were they a problem for you in the valley last year?

I hope the concern is overstated....but some very experienced people are saying alarming things. And with organic practices our hands are really pretty tied to a few options on this one. Which is problematic as the folks out west found resistance developed quite quickly without rotation of pesticide.
As I recall you were not running organic, which provides several more options, but it might still be an uphill fight.

You have likely seen the recs developed for sweet cherry in WA but here is a link. I think folks up here would do well to use that as a frame work but obviously it will need to be adapted some.

http://extension.wsu.edu/swd/Documents/SWDrecommendations2011.pdf

o

Windfall, all summer long, I am sent email up-dates almost daily/weekly on the progression of SWD. I get the up-dates from the head of Hort. at the University of RI They set out traps throughout the state to monitor their travel and numbers. Nasty things. Ruin strawberries and raspberries. Mrs. G

o

They TOTALLY ruined our raspberries last year. I hear sticky traps baited with vinegar trap them and signal their presence... Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here