Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thatcompostguy

Thornless blackberry colors?

thatcompostguy
9 years ago

Wild blackberries have immature berries of a bright clown nose red usually. I have thornless blackberries (I think) that have a more of a dark magenta or light plum purple color before they turn black and plump up a bit. Does that sound like thornless blackberries? Or some other berry that very closely resembles them? I don't think I would have planted boysenberries. The ripe black ones are huge and very sweet with somewhat large seeds compared to the wild ones that are a lot smaller, tart, and also seedy, just smaller. I'll be mixing wild ones with these to get a better flavor in everything I do.

I planted a patch of various and sundry things 5 or 6 years ago now and neglected it starting about 4 years ago when I started building a house. I can't find the list of what I put where and just this spring went through and mowed between the rows that I had planted so I could at least get in and look to see if anything was still alive or productive. Low and behold thornless blackberries (or whatever they are) are alive and thriving. And spreading all over the place, which is fine by me because not much else that I planted is still alive.

I'll try to remember to get a picture tonight if it's not raining.

Comment (1)