Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

couple of questions about rootstocks and tree fruits

First of all, my efforts to save one of the dwarf apples that were attacked by the rabbits failed. But, the rootstock is putting out growth. I believe it is M27. I would like to try to graft to this rootstock -- I have another apple (no longer dormant) that is a standard that I would prefer to be dwarf. Is it too late to try a graft, is there another technique besides chip budding that can be used now? Do I need to wait until next late winter?

What exactly is the M27 anyway? is it an apple, or something else in the malus family?

Second question: I have 2 crusader hawthorns that I am cutting down because they are persistent victims of cedar-quince rust. I was wondering if they could be rootstock also for another fruit, and would the rust still be a problem if so?

Thanks, Raee

Comments (4)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

M27 is an apple but the fruit probably isn't edible. The best technique now is T budding. All you need is a sharp knife and a couple of large rubber bands. Utube should have plenty of videos on the subject.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks fruitnut. Have you ever heard of using hawthorn as a rootstock?

• Barkdust50
    9 years ago

Any top stock that you would graft to a hawthorn has to be a member of the hawthorn family, whatever that is.

• lucky_p
    9 years ago

Not necessarily,barkdust.

Some pears will work on hawthorn understock; I've got at least one that's close to 15 years old now, grafted on native C.crus-galli understock. Suspect that quince(Cydonia) would probably work, and possibly medlar, as well.
    Some nurseries offer named selections of Amelanchier x grandiflora on hawthorn understock.

Also, I have several mayhaw selections grafted, growing, and fruiting on the native cockspur hawthorn - but, as barkdust suggested, they are in the same genus, Crataegus.