Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rpost78

Blueberry Questions

rpost78
9 years ago

1. I thought blueberries could not self fertilize, but mine did...I think. Is this normal? I haven't been yard to yard looking for other blueberry bushes, but in glancing I haven't seen any others.

2.How do I know when it's time to pick my blueberries? Now that I've brought my plant in away from the birds the berries are growing!!

Comments (12)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

You'll get lots of very good advice here besides my amatuer suggestions. I thought they could self pollinate, but it was 'better' to have 2 or more. Try sampling the mature berry in the photo and see how it tastes. Usually mine get sweeter the longer I leave them on the bush. Good idea keeping them away from the birds.

• rpost78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe they can self pollinate. I've always read that they can't, but mine has berries and my 2 other blue berry plants are really small and have no flowers. They are only about 8 inches tall.
    The birds were having a feast. I moved the plant right up to my sliding glass door on my back porch and they still came up and were feasting on my berries. I moved the plant inside my house right in front of the sliding glass door and the birds were trying to it through the glass! Brave, crazy birds here I guess! So, I moved it away from the door to keep the birds from flying into the glass. LOL

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Bottom lines:
    1. Yes, they are self-fertile..
    2.But you get more fruit and better quality if cross-pollinated with a 2nd kind.

• Molex 7a NYC
    9 years ago

when the ass of the berry has turned totally blue, I roll the berry between my thumb and fore finger, if it doesn't pop off, leave it be some more.

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

You may want to building a netting cage for the bush and put it outside in the sun again. The berries need sun to ripe well.

• ericwi
    9 years ago

Blueberries need insect pollinators, so they might not set fruit if they are kept indoors when they are flowering. Here in Madison, Wisconsin, we lose maybe 10% of the crop to birds, so our shrubs are outdoors, and they are not covered. Other folks have reported 100% of the crop lost to birds.

• rpost78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The birds are driving me crazy! I'm looking into some netting for it, but if put it back out now there will be no berries. The birds will eat them all! As it is, almost half have been eaten already! I will be putting it back out soon though!

Does anyone have a guess as to what type of blueberry this is? I bought it at Home Depot or Lowe's in Central Texas if that matters.
    @MoleX which end is the ass? :)

• Molex 7a NYC
    9 years ago

end that connects the stem is the ass, it is the last part of berry to ripen, from green to red to finally dark blue.

;p

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    9 years ago

The closeup of the leaf looks like a Southern Highbush and in Texas makes it even more likely. Brady

• rpost78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The birds are driving me crazy! I'm looking into some netting for it, but if put it back out now there will be no berries. The birds will eat them all! As it is, almost half have been eaten already! I will be putting it back out soon though!

Does anyone have a guess as to what type of blueberry this is? I bought it at Home Depot or Lowe's in Central Texas if that matters.
    @MoleX which end is the ass? :)

• rpost78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ate a blueberry today! It was pretty good! @MoleX the ass was dark blue and it popped right off! :oP

Thanks for the advice everyone!

• rpost78
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ate a blueberry today! It was pretty good! @MoleX the ass was dark blue and it popped right off! :oP

Thanks for the advice everyone!