Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djoyofficial

Can this pear tree be saved.

djoyofficial
9 years ago

First of all, Greetings to all here in the orchard forum.

I have recently (in my second year) decided to try and become the resident Gardner at our family estate in the foothills of the western Rockies.

The gardens and forested areas here were established over sixty years ago and whoever was responsible for the original layout was surely a Master Gardener of his or her time.

The layout has virtually maintained itself for the fifteen years of neglect prior to me taking up the responsibility. I am slowly attempting to restore as much of it as possible, as gently as possible.

The ecosystem here is amazingly well balanced and diverse, so I prefer to avoid synthetic "cures" at nearly all cost.

Now that I have introduced myself I am curious to see if anyone thinks this pear tree or its seedling can be saved. I am not concerned about fruit this year so digging and pruning are on the table if anyone thinks its worth a shot.

For some reason someone cut the trunk about a foot and a half from the ground and from the looks of it it could have been done many years ago.
As you would suspect that caused it to shout out low and wide. There is a seedling behind it that hasn't been pruned and its already as tall as the original

{{gwi:112958}}

To make things worse, upon closer inspection I found a dozen or so leaves that have this mysterious miner of some sort. It doesn't look like any blister moth pictures I can find.. Not sure what it is.

If anyone has any suggestions or any idea where to start on these trees or what this leaf problem is, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
dj

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus