Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gooseberry leaf spot and powdery mildew

Posted by nicholerh 8b - Seattle (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 14:26

Hi all.

I have three different gooseberry bushes and only one is currently affected by these problems. It is called Poorman's Gooseberry and apparently isn't as resistant to these problems as my other two. Do you guys know of any tricks to help save this plant? I've been pulling any dead leaves and putting them immediately into the yard waste bin to prevent the spores from hanging about in the soil.

Leaf spot

Powdery Mildew - harder to see because this problem just started. I blame the heavier than usual rain fall in the past couple weeks here in Seattle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gooseberry leaf spot and powdery mildew

I would put a couple leaves in a zip-lock bag and take it to you local extension agent or a good nursery. As for the powdery mildew try 5 parts water 1 part milk with a drop of dish soap,

o

I had an had a gooseberry that was especially prone to Leaf Spot. I realized that the same Immunox that I spray to keep Cedar Apple Rust and scab off my apples was also rated for Gooseberry leaf spot. So, the gooseberries get the same spray as the apple trees. 2 birds with one stone. Problem solved.
-Glenn

o

I think Kocide copper spray helps too. Done early in season's growth, I believe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here