Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sitesucks

Protecting berries from birds

thepodpiper
9 years ago

I am in the process of building a netting structure to protect my berry trellis and was hoping for some input on netting material. Is there a specific netting that you can not do without and also is there a certain type you will never buy again. Your input is very much appreciated on this matter. I am tired of feeding the birds and not getting any for myself. I am also going to cover blueberries. Thanks.

Comments (16)

• mrsg47
    9 years ago

http://www.americannettings.com/

This company has the best netting, the other netting that is excellent is from Home Depot and it is white. It is sold in rolls for 12 dollars. Hope this helps, Mrs. G

• northernmn
    9 years ago

Here are 2 blueberry rows, both 72 ft long , covered with netting. This is a woven netting from American Netting... Same as in MrsG47's post.

{{gwi:93060}}

• jtburton
    9 years ago

I purchased the 17ft x 500ft roll from this company: http://www.plantra.com/BirdNetting/AviGardEasyFitSquareMeshBirdNetForRows.aspx

I have been pleased with the quality...and it is a world better than the cheap black netting you get from the big box stores.

My one suggestion is to figure out how wide you need it to cover a row. 17ft sounds like it is really wide but that's just wide enough for me to cover 6ft blackberries that are 5ft wide (6ft+6ft+5ft = 17ft).

• Greenhorn2
    9 years ago

Hi......i purchased Birdxpeller pro, a sonic bird repeller because they kept getting my berries too, and it's a lot of work putting up pvc cages along my stockade fence, and then taking it down after seasons.......after about 2 weeks now, i see no Robins, Blue Jays no more so i think it's working...takes some time for the local birds to get the message, but if it works it's worth it to me.

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

Greenhorn,...what happens when, say you have a couple of birds nesting in the 1 acre this devise will cover..will they abandon nest?

• Greenhorn2
    9 years ago

Hi...this Device has pre-recorded distress calls for certain select birds, first you find out what birds you are having a problem with....then if you order one you tell the dealer or manufacturer what birds you are having a problem with, then they will make a special chip for you that also includes predatory bird calls like Hawk, Falcon etc..........it is designed for 1 1/2 Acres and they have a larger property version too.......i can tell you that the Robins and Blue Jays that i had a problem with have disappeared because this device alerts them that there is danger in the vacinity.

If you go to BirdX.com and look at the products, you will see - there are also videos on You Tube that show how they work and when you decide if you do i bought mine on Amazon.

Here's a picture of mine i have set up

Good Luck

• curtis
    9 years ago

Bird Xpeller pro: seems like it would be annoying for back yard growers. what about that?

• thepodpiper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So this birdxpellar has to be programmed for a specific type of bird or will it chase away all birds. I want all of the birds gone from my yard actually.

• rayrose
    9 years ago

This is what I use for my blues. It's a permanent structure and I used American Nettings. It's a little pricey, but well worth it.

• thepodpiper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rayrose, what size is your enclosure? Anyone else using the netting from plantra?

• rayrose
    9 years ago

Mine is 8' x 55'.

• thepodpiper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Did you just use 10' pvc poles

• Konrad___far_north
    9 years ago

>>Bird Xpeller pro: seems like it would be annoying for back yard growers. what about that?Yes,..I would imagine, neighbors would hate me for all that noise and their breeding birds are gone.

I love birds,..I rather put up netting.

For a large scale plantation/farm it might be good.

• thepodpiper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just got my net from plantra and not real happy with the product. was supposed to be 17x100 and the width is only around 13 ft. Then after I stretched it almost to it's breaking point I got just short of 16 ft. Going to call them on Monday to see whats up. I was hoping to get this thing completed by 2morrow but I guess its not going to happen. Didn't even check the length, don't really want to get any angrier than I already am. Just had to vent.

• rayrose
    9 years ago

Yes I used 10'poles. !/2 " poles cut in half for the sides and 1/4" poles full length for the arch. I attached the netting with twist ties.

• MrClint
    9 years ago

I just drape pieces of el cheapo BirdBlock over the plants. Works well enough for me. I do admire the cages and such that folks here erect.