Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering 2 gallon Blueberry plants

Posted by ski_d_bump 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 11 at 14:45

I have 200 potted blueberry plants ranging in size from 1.5 yr olds at 8" to some 3' tall wooded plants.I want to keep them in greenhouse with a winter cover over the winter for resale next spring.I was told just to leave in pots outside and they would be fine but have found little info on exactly what to do.

Any info would be greatly Appreciated

Thanks
Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering 2 gallon Blueberry plants

I would think that a green house would be the way to go. A cheap one out of pvc and plastic.

o

If they are northern highbush varieties my guess is they would be ok if the winter is not too severe. My potted plants, all northern highbush have made it through 3 winters successfully and we hit zero several times last winter. . If you are still concerned, have several loads of sawdust brought in and bury the pots after they go dormant.

RM

o

My blue crops and elliotts overwintered fine in their wind protected site, with great snowcover. I'd be concerned with high winds and exposed pots below zero. Yes, I need a greenhouse, just in case.

o

Even "southern high bush" blueberries can take quite a bit of freezing temps, (some botanist are classifying blueberries into 2 types, lowbush, (exclusively a couple of northern species) and highbush. And like apples, some require more chill hours than others, but are the same species, (Vaccinium cyanococcus or Vaccinium corymbosum; Since these plants will readily cross pollinate, it will take a geneticist to really tell us what is what).

Therefore, I would not worry too much about them being able to over winter, just remember that just because the plant isn't actively growing doesn't mean that it doesn't require adequate watering.

o

• Posted by luke_oh zone 5 NE Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 30, 11 at 21:18

I over wintered about 40 2 yr. old plants in pots, outdoors in NE Ohio last year, with no problem. I know of a garden center that keeps their potted blueberry plants in a greenhouse over winter. The owner/manager said that they have to water about the 1st of the year and had trouble with mice getting in the greenhouse and nibbleing on the plants. I'd maybe do as Riverman suggested and cover the pots with mulch, leaves, sawdust or something to help insulate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here