Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nectarine, Plum, Cherry Tree issues with holes in leaves

Posted by misop1 Nevada (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 14:47

I have pictures of each tree however I am attaching the Nectarine tree for review. This tree was planted about 2 1/2 years ago and is growing rather slowly (Cherry tree is growing like mad!) however it is starting to bear fruit (very small right now). The problem I fear is that it has some type fungus and/or insect that I cannot see at any time. Some leaves are completely eaten through but I see no bugs at all. The cherry tree leaves are eaten through also but some leaves are also turning yellow (pale). What can I do to save my tree(s) that is non toxic. Also, this is my first time caring for fruit trees so my experience is little to none.

This post was edited by misop1 on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 14:50

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nectarine, Plum, Cherry Tree issues with holes in leaves

Plum Tree

o

Cherry Tree

o

Looks like 'Shot Hole'. My leaves look identical and they will be going on their fourth spray in two days after it stops raining. Ugh. Mrs. G

o

I agree with Mrs. G. that the nectarine looks like shot hole but the plum looks more like insect damage. Cherry looks like it has both.

You could have a combination of insect damages and shot hole (bateria disease) on all the trees. Some insects feed at night or at times that you are not looking.

I attached another post that discussed a similar problem for you to compare.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holes on fruit tree leaves

o

Ive seen Japanese beetles do that to my plum trees every year. Look up Japanese fruit tree damage, its quit similar. Beetles and weevils eat leaves similar to that.

If its shothole, it will start with brown spots, then degrade into what you have. Check for brown spotting as well.

Hopefully its just bug damage:(

This post was edited by blazeaglory on Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 23:33

o

I have the same thing on the top of my plums, and it's some kind of insect. It isn't all of the leaves, just a few of them. I get it just about this time every year. I attribute mine to japanese beetles, which are just starting to come out. Once they go away, the damage stops. I've never done anything about it, and I wouldn't worry, if I were you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here