Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberries

Posted by chrssyeldridge 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 14:51

Hello All,

I am new to the site and hopefully am doing this correctly.

I planted some strawberries for the very first time. I have noticed some mushrooms growing right under the leaves of the strawberries. Dark pointy tops.

Question 1. Is this dangerous to eat the berries?

2. Can I get rid of the mushrooms?

Thanks in advance :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberries

1 - no, not dangerous.

2 - the real question is why you have mushrooms growing in your strawberry bed. It could be a sign of other potential problems. Did you perchance use wood chip mulch? That would explain it. Is your bed sited where trees used to grow? Are you overwatering the strawberries? Is it very shady there?

If none of these potential problems exist and the mushrooms just bug you, treat them like any weed and hoe them out.

o
RE: Strawberries

THANKS! Good to know that it's not dangerous.

No I used straw when I planted them because it said to on the planting instructions. They were a root when I got them in the mail. No tree there used to be FILLED with grass that I am still having a war with. Partal shade and maybe too much water....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here