Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve357

Dapple Supreme pluot pic's

Steve357
9 years ago

With the last of my Flavor Supreme's gone, Dapple Supreme looks to be the next pluot in my orchard to ripen.

I planted this in Jan and it set a few fruit. I tasted one today to see where it's at, it's still at least 2-3 weeks away.
I thinks it's going to be a good one, and looks to be a reliable producer.

Comments (11)

• Steve357
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks like it's going to have dark red flesh.

• Steve357
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another view

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. I almost picked one yesterday but it didn't come off easily so I left it. DWN harvest chart shows it about two weeks later than Flavor Supreme. So 2-3 wks may be about right. I'll hold off on harvest.

Your tree is a little bigger than mine. I like the look of your orchard. Not much green grass around the trees. How often and how much do you water?

• Steve357
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My DS is 3 1/2' tall. It has a 3-4" high dirt berm about 3' in diameter around it that acts as a basin. The basin is filled with mulch, I try and keep the much away from the trunk. I fill the basin with a garden hose every 2 weeks or so as a ballpark figure.
    I don't really have a set watering schedule. I'll dig through the mulch and if the ground is still moist, I'll hold off watering. Or if the leaves start to droop, then I'll water.some. We're in an extreme drought here and I can only water 15min every other day, Some of my 3-4 year old tree haven't gotten watered in over a month and they still look fine.

This post was edited by Steve357 on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 16:20

• Steve357
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My backyard orchard is 50x100' at the very back of my property. I live on just shy of an acre. I started it about 4 1/2 years ago and I've got over 40 trees. I add few every year. I don't have them in neat rows, I like it looking like a mini forest, and I still have room for plenty more!

9 years ago

Love your mini forest. And your watering schedule is right on the money for high eating quality fruit. If the leaves don't drop it's enough water.

Are you growing any peaches or nectarines? What are your favorites there? Which do you prefer peach or nectarine?

• Steve357
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've got probably a dozen peaches and nectarines. It's a coin flip, I love both but I like white flesh better than yellow. I'm a sucker for sweet. I just got finished eating the last of my sauzee king nectarines, I love those. Arctic Jay is another favorite but those won't be ready for a while. As far as peaches, my favorites so far are Sept. Snow saucer, and I've got one from Burchell nursery called Mendon's Paradise peach that is just outstanding but they are later season varieties.

• Fascist_Nation
    9 years ago

"I'm a sucker for sweet." lol Oh, you two are going to get along.

9 years ago

Steve:

Sounds like you like the low acid peaches and nectarine given that those are mostly white fleshed. I like many of the low acid nectarine, mainly the Arctic series. But I like all the low-acid, yellow-fleshed Honey series of nectarines that I've been able to try. Unfortunately only Honey Kist is sold retail.

Don't care for most low acid white fleshed peaches. Tried many in my greenhouse but most seemed to suffer internal breakdown and the ones that didn't weren't all that good.

• brotherjake
    9 years ago

Sorry that peaches are a tad off the subject, but the few times that I have been able to get my Indian Free peaches to ripen (late peach in too short a growing season), they have been incredible. Not low acid, but they have a wonderful flavor all their own. If you can ripen them, I would recommend this variety to anyone.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Yeah we had a heck of a time convincing fruitnut to try Indian Free, and he did, but it died. So looks like he needs another one!? Mine will be going on 3rd leaf next spring, I hope we have a winter that doesn't kill all the fruit buds, but that is what the Farmer's Almanac predicts, which sucks, they are the only ones who got it right last winter, they nailed it actually. My trees look more like the trees in your background, but all fruit buds were killed last winter. Maybe being a little more mature, some will hang on. I wonder if Wilt Stop would help? I'm certainly using it for my blackberries. I already have it. It puts a protective wax like coating that keeps the moisture in the branches or canes. Stops desiccation, it may protect fruit buds, and certainly can't hurt.
    I have a 4 and 1 pluot (DD,FK,FS, FQ) and so I should actually get Dapple Supremes as seeds, as this tree is the only tree I have to pollinate. Since I have to move and leave my trees in a few years I was thinking of growing the seeds. I plan to hand pollinate, to make sure I get some fruit.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 21:51