Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahgrower

One Flavor Supreme Pluot Alas! In Georgia

ahgrower Horne
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Finally, at last! On June 25, 2014, I had the immensely enjoyable delightful pleasure of eating a flavor supreme pluot off of my flavor supreme pluot tree right here in Georgia!!!! Yea! I had a couple of people advise me not to attempt to grow the tree but I did not listen. I just had to try for myself and see if I could actually succeed at growing flavor supreme pluots in spite of all the negative things like humidity, brown rot, etc. Although I know that those possibilities do occur with fruit trees and such in our area, my logic was (and is) if I can successfully grow regular plums here in Georgia, then perhaps I may be able to successfully grow pluots as well. The unfortunate part of the story is that I have only one pluot to display because the weather froze and blew away all the other little pluots on the tree. And I tell you, that tree was packed with blooms and little fruit. I even have pics of bees visiting that tree often-which I will upload if anyone wants to see it!. I have searched the forum many times to see if anyone in my location has ever had any success with the flavor supreme pluot tree (or any kind of pluots for that matter) and I could not find anything. So for all our deep south residents here in Georgia, I have done it and it feels good! I tried to copy Fruitnut when it came down to taking these pics, but forgive me if they look a little sloppy! Again, that one and only FS pluot was soooo good. It was sweet but I feel that I could have left it on the tree for another week and it would have been perfect!!!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Nice going!! It's hard to tell when to pick Flavor Supreme even when one has plenty. I must have picked mine over a month. They didn't really seem to change all that much. Even at the end they were pretty tart but always with plenty of sweetness to balance it out.

I couldn't get your picture to open.

• Tony
    9 years ago

Ah,

Congrats on your success! Hopefully, next year will be better.

Tony

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi All,
    Fruitnut, I am sorry that you did not get the picture. See, I forgot I was at work and realized that I don't have the same access to all media functions that I would have had I been at home so here they are! I am trying hard to send all 4 pics so please bare with me if I have to submit them as messages...

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is the second one

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another on its side hastily cut!

{{!gwi}}

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, here is the one hastily cut

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And last but not least! In this one, I am trying to make the fruit look appetizing like Fruitnuts' pictures! LOL. Anyway, if there is an easier way to get all the pics on display at once, please let me know! Thanks everyone!

• MrClint
    9 years ago

Nice looking fruit! You have every reason to be proud. Most pluots, at least around here, seem to hold on the tree very well. Most times they pick up more sweetness if you wait a bit. The anticipation makes it hard to resist though. :)

• ahgrower Horne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mr. Clint, I was like a child on Xmas eve. night, just waiting for the time to pluck the fruit. I really wanted to wait until July 5th, thinking that it would be a little softer to the touch but as I was adjusting the netting on the tree, it became disconnected from the stem and fell through the netting onto the ground. That was my cue! It was really sweet but it was not at its peek. I wanted extreme sweetness but the rich fruity taste was still incredible. I also have a 4-n-1 pluot tree with FS/FK/FQ and Dapple Dandy.i lost every fruit blossom on that tree due to the weather and all. However, I spray and examine all my trees on a regular basis as need--but I can't wait until I get that perfect dream harvest! Did you harvest yours yet? Please share your pics!

• MrClint
    9 years ago

Sadly, 'Flavor King' and 'Dapple Dandy' got hit pretty hard by squirrels this year. I'll get nothing from FK, my favorite piece of fruit in the world, and just a few DD. The good news is that 'Flavor Grenade' is having a banner year. :)

Just updated my post titled 'Flavor Grenade' pluot with a newer photo.

• bradkairdolf
    8 years ago

Hi ahgrower,

How are the pluots coming along in Georgia? I'm also in Georgia and would like to give them a try here. I believe a number of them are off patent now and I'm planning to try grafting/budding some if I can get some scion wood.

Brad