Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Darn peach tree borers!

Posted by blazeaglory 10 SZ22 OC Ca (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 15:00

Hi all! Hope all of your gardens are growing well?

Alot of my new growth on my two peach trees has been infested by peach tree borers!! The tips oon alot of my new branches have had to be cut short because of that darn little bug!

I have about 4-5 good scaffolds forming on one 3 year old tree and they got to a nice length before the bug got to some of them at the tip, while on my other tree it seems that alot of branches at the tips are getting infested every day.

Question is, once they are in the tips can I kill them with liquid seven? They are not in more than half an inch if even that. I have been cutting them out but that ruins the growth of the branches. It seems they are really heavy this year.

Is there a spray or powder that can prevent this? Something I can get from Home Depot or OSH? And once they get into the tips, can I use a spray to kill them? Or do I have to cut them out?

Thank You :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Darn peach tree borers!

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 16:01

Not peach tree borer. It's either peach twig borer or Oriental fruit moth.

Here is a link that might be useful: peach twig borer

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 16:03

Oriental fruit moth.

Here is a link that might be useful: OFM

o

It's peach tree twig borer and once its inside the stem, no spray will kill it. You have to cut it out. I've found that Triazicide is more effective against borers than Sevin.

o

Yeah I need to get some more triazicide! Thats what I forgot to buy today!! Damnit! Dont you ever have that feeling when your at the store and you know you need something but you cant remember what?

Anyways, yes I think it might be the OFM...I have been seeing many little greyish moths fluttering around the trees. The damage and the little worm looks the same too.

So do I have to wait until it emerges to get it? Or can I go around and cut off all the tips? I do know triazicide acts as a deterrent for a little while, whereas liquid sevin kills only on contact. I definitely need to get some more triazicide.

So should I just cut off the tips for now? Or wait until they emerge? And should I spray the triazicide on the trees and fruit to prevent them from laying anymore eggs?

Thank you all

o

I dont remember so many bugs when I was younger :-(

o

That's because we had DDT back in the old days. If you have a lot of moths flying around, I'd spray now, and again in 10-14 days. If you suspect OFM, and the damage is new, I'd try Ortho Fruit, Flower, & Vegetable Insect Killer. It's supposed to have kick back power. By that, I mean it's supposed to also kill the larva inside the fruit, and you can probably salvage the fruit. It worked for me on my plums.

o

Oh some nights a stand guard around my plum tree. Im not letting them get the 4 good plums I have left...lol

I just mowed the lawn and found a few of the moths and also found that they were hiding in plain sight on the patio screens. I blasted them with a strong hose. They are very agile little suckers!! I figure about 15 or more all around the backyard...

A few larvae I "paper clipped". They were in the twigs and fruit. A nice little bent paper clip worked to skewer them.

This post was edited by blazeaglory on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 23:24

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here