Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
triple crown blackberry plant in 8-ish gallon container

Posted by gyarks CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 15:01

Hello!

Recently, I bought a fairly small seedling from a vendor at my local farmer's market. He assured me that if I was careful about pruning my triple crown, I could successfully keep it in a 5-10 gallon container on my balcony.

This means, unfortunately, that I do not have the opportunity to trellis my plant. The only real option open to me is to use a wire cage, and place it rather widely.
I know that since I have the plant in a container, it should naturally stay smaller since the root system is more constrained. I'm just hoping that I'll still get a modest fruit yield.

I would appreciate any help from anyone who's had experience with this, or has any ideas for me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: triple crown blackberry plant in 8-ish gallon container

This is what I've done with western trailing types. No trellis needed, just a few stakes. Triple Crown stands up better so should work.

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

For my Triple Crown (and for my boysenberries) I built rectangular frameworks (think box kites) out of 1/2" PVC electrical conduit (the grey stuff) that are about 6 ft. tall. The size of the square base of the framework is based on the diameter of the pot at its widest. The pot sits on the bottom of the framework or cage. This helps stabilize the assembly by adding weight (unless you forget to water!)

So far I am using the verticals to tie up the fruiting canes while guiding the new canes up the open center. When the fruiting canes are all done, I will cut them out and tie the new canes. That means I am maintaining 4 fruiting canes per plant (5 gallon containers).

Seems to be working OK so far. If I pot up (which I probably will) I just need to change the length of the horizontal bars (I did not glue anything).

o

Wow do those taste good containerized?

o

Persian:

Yes they were good this year. Especially Black Diamond and Black Pearl, both thornless with big sweet fruit. I also like the fruit on thorny Obsidian and Metolious. But would choose the thornless for certain.

o

Triple crowns tend to get the white druplet problem caused by sun damage to the ripening fruits. Your container plant has the advantage of being mobile, move it to a shadier spot if you ever experience the sun damage.

Also, your plant was probably not a "seedling", but rather a "start".

o

Thank you, everyone, for your help!

Fruitnut, especially you! That looks like a brilliant idea!

And yes...start.

o

That is really cool, I've never seen a blackberry containerized like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here