Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washington Dwarf Navel Orange Tree Maturity

Posted by Rancho none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 15:05

Hi all! I'm new to the forum. :)

Wanted to start out with some quick questions about my Washington Navel Orange tree.. FYI, I live in Southern California.

First off, since it says that it matures in Winter, does that mean there will be no other time other than winter where the tree will produce ripe fruit? It's a young tree, but still has about 20 little oranges already growing on it.. Being that it's the middle of June, will it really take a whole 6 months for those little oranges to fully mature??

I'm sort of new to fruit. I've grown tons of peppers before and I was used to almost a continual bounty one after the other over the course of months and months... This tree won't do that?

Thanks in advance! I'm excited to finally be a posting member on the site. :)

R

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washington Dwarf Navel Orange Tree Maturity

Washington Navel oranges ripen in the winter, like most other citrus. Yes, your little oranges will be ready between November and January to enjoy. And no, citrus for the most part do not produce successive crops (with the exception of a few, such as Improved Meyer lemons, and most kumquats). If you would like oranges more year 'round, consider planting a nice Valencia orange, which is ripening now. Be sure you're watering appropriately, water once or twice a week, a long soak, no overhead sprinkling but on drip or micro-sprinklers, have no grass underneath the tree, keep the tree well that should be created at the drip line (edge of leaf canopy) mulched, but keep mulch 2 to 6 inches away from the trunk, and fertilize every 2 to 3 months, from Feb through Oct with a good citrus fertilizer that contains micronutrients.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Riverside Citry Variety Collection: Washington Navel Orange

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here