Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megamav

Potential Apples to Graft

megamav
11 years ago

I have a crab apple out in front of my house that I would like to convert over to a 4 variety tree.

Im in Zone 5a/5b right on the line.

This tree now gets full sun, about 8 hours worth.

I've been thinking about varieties to graft onto it next year or over the course of a few years.

Calville Blanc D'hiver - This one is a must, it made a great pie last year. Bought the apples from an orchard about 45 minutes south of here. It would do well where I am. This is the only variety im unwilling to give up on.

Spigold - Never had one, but ive heard good things and its native to this area. I'll have to try one in the fall since a couple of orchards have them, but they're late season, so most orchards close their doors in November when these are picked.

Suncrisp - Maybe, I had a few of these, they were picked too early, but were still very good, just crisp and tart.

Akane - My girlfriend likes these,, they're crisp and sweet like fruit punch when picked, not a keeper, but would be a nice early apple to have.

Freyberg - This is purely going off of Scott Smith's praise of this apple. Sounds like a more tart Sweet 16. I think it would compliment my Kidd's Orange Red tree well, same type of parents, different interpretation and presentation.

Abbondanza - Another Scott Smith recommended apple, not sure how well these hold up to a lot of sun, Scott mentioned they do well in shade for him.

Empress - Since I like Jonamac so much... Not sure where I'd find wood for this one, but it sounds like a stronger flavored Jonamac.

Ellison's Orange - Unique, but probably not my first choice. If I HAD to put a unique graft on, I'd probably pick this one or the Empress.

Golden Delicious - OK, you think im nuts, but I had a bunch of these fresh off the tree, into cold storage at 40 degress for 6 weeks, and it was probably the most popping, juicy dessert apple I had on the season. Not a likely candidate just because they're so prevalent, but it is worth noting.

Varieties I've talked myself out of: Northern Spy, Golden Russet, Jonathan, Ashmead's Kernel, Newtown Pippin.

Anyone with experience like to comment on any of these?

Im open to different alternatives as well.

-Eric

----------------------------------------------------

{{gwi:54837}}

Comments (2)