Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Double Tipping Darrow Blackberry?

Posted by cablestarman NE OH 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 15:31

I planted a few Darrow Blackberries a 4 years back, barely produced any berries, except 2 years back - but they were small and crumbly. So, last winter I cut them entirely down to the ground and this year I have been soft-tipping at 39 inches. My question is, what is meant by double-tipping? Do I tip the laterals also and at what length?

Thanks,
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Double Tipping Darrow Blackberry?

Generally I wait until late winter (early March) to prune any of the laterals. The link below offers the same advice.

As for double-tipping, I'm not certain but I do know from have several varieties of erect blackberries that even though you summer tip them by removing the central leader, the cane can still continue to grow upwards. If you have a trellis or some type of support, then it probably doesn't matter. The one risk I have found with erect blackberries that get too tall is that they are prone to wind damage if they are not secured to something (e.g. wire, post, etc.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning Blackberries (Darrow)

o

I glanced at the subject matter online and the double-tipping (tip main cane at waist high or even lower, then tip laterals at 18") seems to be a method of delaying bloom and fruiting in hot climates to prevent fruit damage. Applies to primocane-bearing varieties.

o

Wow, messed that one up, thought Darrow was a primocane-bearing blackberry. Since I mowed the whole thing down last winter, how do I get it back to "normal"? I have 5 plants total and I know there are more than 5 canes per plant.

o

Tip the current canes this summer and then prune back the laterals (side branching canes) late next winter. You probably won't have fruit this year but since you skipped fruiting this season you should have a larger harvest next year since all of the plants energy went into vegetative growth this year. Some blackberry production in the Western states is performed that way. It's called AY or alternate year production.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here