Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chip buds about a year later...

Posted by franktank232 z5 WI (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 15:44

Photobucket

So I did this one last July. The growth so far (this is Puget Gold on Tomcot) is pretty impressive. The branch is at least 36 inches long with several shoots coming off of it.

If I keep having success with chip budding, I'll be a happy dude.

Photobucket

This is Superior plum (hybrid) on what I now know is a nectarine seedling (you got me where it came from). Not nearly as impressive as the apricot growth, but still good. About an 18 inch shoot at this point.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chip buds about a year later...

How do you keep track of them? I don't see any tags.

o

My brain...but I really should label them. I didn't do that many...i have a few apples and a few more apricots.

o

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 1, 12 at 17:56

yup that is the biggest lie you can ever tell your self(I will remember)hahahaha.I T budded 8 different plum varieties to one tree last week and we had some visitors and so on and I said to myself,"I don't need to tag them now I will remember"..............An hour later I have no idea what was grafted hahaha.
So were these dormant buds (cut and stored in the fridge from previous season)used to chip or were they from the current seasons growth?
That is very cool how there can be such various combinations that work. Who would have thought a nectarine/plum would work! that is just awesome!

Glenn

o

They were fresh. I would just grab some from one tree and bud them on the other tree.

I plan on making a tree...using peach seedling, with apricot, pluot, peach, plum... I just wish sweet cherry would take on peach, but I think I'd need some sort of exotic interstem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here