Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielmc_gw

Fire blight

danielmc
11 years ago

History: New house.

Removed 8 bradford trees from back acre last fall.

As well as two Peach trees which were 80% dead and left a Apple tree these trees were probably planted about the time the house was built 20 years ago and probably hadn't been pruned or cared for in the last 15 years...

The Apple was over grown but looked healthy.

In the winter I opened up the tree cutting about 15% of the tree dormant spray and such but didn't notice any serious damage to the bark...

I also planted 18 fruit trees including four more apple and two pear...

This year I noticed fire blight in the Apple tree I left. I cut back the damaged limbs at first as I identified them but as time has gone by it appears to have hit about every limb to some degree I dont know the variety and it is a semi-dwarf. Most all leaves on the tree have some spots and are yellowing slightly.

Okay heres the question I have put some money into my new trees and dont want to fight this more than I have to... so do I get rid of the tree completly now, in the winter, or just prune out what I can in the winter? I have neighbors who have bradford pears which have some fire blight damage ie reservoirs within 150 feet from my trees.

Opinions from those with experience with fire blight or those with apple orchards would be helpful. Opinions from those that have read articles online not so helpful i have read the same articles...

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Comments (3)