Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
something is eating my strawberries

Posted by Tafoyas Wisconsin (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 15:45

There is something eating my strawberries. I went to check on them this morning and picked a few ripe ones. I went back about 5 hours later to check them for more ripe ones and 2 of them had already been chomped on. I have some netting partially over the patch. Something is getting under the netting and munching on them as well as any that are out of the netting. I did notice some rolly polly bugs the other day in the patch, but could it be a few pests and not isolated to only rolly polly bugs? I have more pics to post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: something is eating my strawberries

That looks like insect damage for sure. Seen any slugs? In my garden slugs and pill bugs often work in tandem -- the latter feed on slug damaged berries.

o

Yep, that round hole is typical of slug damage.

o

Would ants eat a large hole like that? I haven't noticed slugs in the berry patch, but do have ants. I also have berries with multiple smaller holes. All the holes do seem to be on the ground side, though I have some "nibbled" berries poking out the netting on the edges of the bed.

May not be anything to worry about as I now have botrytis in the bed.

o

Slugs and rolly pollys. Come out after dark with a salt shaker and get rid of the slugs.

o

Would ants eat a large hole like that? I haven't noticed slugs in the berry patch...

I've definitely seen ants on slug damaged strawberries, but I I don't know whether ants would feed on undamaged fruit. Are you sure that you don't have slugs and/or snails? If you haven't already, do an after dark flashlight inspection. That's when you're most likely to catch them in action. Given the sheer number of slugs, snails, and pill bugs that inhabit my 1/4-acre lot, I resort to Sluggo Plus when berries begin to ripen.

o

ajsmama - botrytis will spread readily to damaged fruits like that, so that makes it an even greater concern. I'd put down some Sluggo along the outside of the rows.

o

The offending slugs are likely inhabiting the strawberry planting itself; bait applied to the perimeter may not be effective.

Do the night thing as mentioned above, but manually pick and remove the slugs. A half-dozen slugs can mess up a lot of strawberries. Bait the perimeter to deter ones coming from a distance.

o

Still some damage but botrytis seems to be limited - I'm not puling that many diseased fruit, but I do pull every damaged fruit I see. I found a tiny green "Inchworm" on one though, wondering if that's what's eating them?

Lots of crickets, ants, and some dragonflies caught under the netting. Haven't seen any slugs but I haven't had time to go out after dark.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here