Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mownie

Unknown (to me) fruit bearing tree

mownie
9 years ago

Can some knowledgeable folks identify the fruit bearing tree in the photo please?
Fruits are in groups and are somewhat fuzzy and Peach-like in appearance.
And if it turns out to be something exotic, are the fruits toxic?
It was just a single tree in the back yard of a home we visited recently but nobody in the family knows what it is.
I have never seen this tree before.
The tree stands about 5 feet tall with a trunk about 2.5" in diameter at the ground, so I assume it is not very old.

Comments (11)

• agrocoders
    9 years ago

Looks like a variety of peach that I've never seen, almonds can look similar but oh is that a pretty tree. The leaves aren't as 'droopy' as usual peaches that's I've seen in the past.

A quick search show the highest probability is Prunus persica ("Nigra") "BONFIRE" or similar.

The peaches will look more like normal edible peaches as they mature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prunus persica (

• mownie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Yes, I just looked at a bunch more images since you steered me in that direction.
    Sorry to learn the fruits are "largely inedible" for humans, but may be appreciated by wildlife. :^)

This post was edited by mownie on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 10:12

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

I agree its probability Bonfire. There are many red leaf peaches and some are good eating. But that one has leaves very closely spaced which is a sign it is a genetic dwarf variety, and Bonfire is by far the most common red leaf dwarf.

Scott

• agrocoders
    9 years ago

I say the same thing abut PawPaws, Mangos, Papayas after I tried them.

It is true even of most store bought peaches. They are aren't worth eating for the most part. It's very hard to find a peach you buy in the store as good and juicy because they are hybridized for shelf life and an unblemished look like the famous Red Delicious Apple and a bit like this variety of peach where they took the 'shelf life' component too far.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

It could be a spice Z nectaplum, if so you lucked out! Or it's the dwarf people are mentioning, one way to tell is how the fruit tastes when ripe. Pretty good, or really bad.
    Here's what my nectaplum looked like last year. You can notice on mine even though young the leaves are more spaced, you probably have the dwarf! Oh well...

This post was edited by Drew51 on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 17:37

• agrocoders
    9 years ago

They certainly look like the fruit would be good. :-) I'd certainly taste it especially knowing it's just a peach cultivar.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

I have tasted Bonfire, and I would say it was the worst piece of fruit I ever put in my mouth and that includes fermented pineapple which is good compared to Bonfire. It's stringy bitter, and tastes like raw squash.
    "Largely inedible" is an understatement, it is completely inedible.

• mownie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If a person planted some other type of (edible fruit) peach tree on the same property as the Bonfire strain, would cross pollination render the edible tree's fruit "inedible", or would it not show up until the next generation (the seed result of a cross pollination)?
    My contention is that the flesh of the fruit of the edible variety is the result of the genetics that are already in that tree passed on when it was just a seed pit on its parent tree.
    And that any resulting changes from cross pollination don't show up in the fruit borne by the standing tree, the changes only show up in the fruit of the FUTURE trees that might grow from the seed of the cross pollinated tree.
    Anybody ever had to debate this or explain this?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

I don't know much, but I do know that you have got it right. Cross pollination only affects the seed produced from it. It cannot and does not affect the existing tree in any way.

• mownie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you.
    I had to argue that point with a man some years ago at my job.
    He was saying that he planted some sweet banana peppers and some hot banana peppers too close together in his garden once and they cross pollinated and made all his banana peppers hot.
    I told him it would not show up until he planted seeds from the cross pollination, and those next generation pepper plants bore fruit.
    He said I was crazy. So I told him he should have taken somebody to the nursery with him that knew how to read so he would not have bought all hot peppers.
    I later told him that either the sellers had mislabeled the plants, or somebody had switched the labels.
    He still argued that it was cross pollination.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

The fruit has the genetics of the mother plant, not the pollinator. The seed does change, but we don't eat the pit. Now with corn, we do eat the seed! So yes it can happen with corn! Don't grow sweet corn near corn meant for cattle, else you might be really disappointed in your crop!
    Also this might not be Bonfire, a taste test is going to have to be conducted. Many genetic dwarfs are fantastic btw, not all are ornamental. Many are grown for both size and taste. Some are actually right up there with the best. Very cool trees!
    You could also graft unto this tree edible peach types, all is not lost.
    Many here I'm sure would be willing to send scion wood.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio