Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grafting on young pear shoots

Posted by copingwithclay 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 15:48

I have begun topworking an ancient pear tree with a 2 ft thick trunk. The dead wood, unwanted big limbs, and too-thick-to-graft-on branches were chainsawed off a couple months ago, leaving many 3/8" to 1" thick branches that I started to graft on this week.Since the major haircut, the tree has been sending out about 40 new green shoots. I clipped off all the shoots except about a dozen that are great candidates for development into future fruit-bearing branches. These 3 to 4 ft long shoots already have white,hard core wood, but the thin, green, flexible, moist bark is far away from becoming the thicker, tan or gray bark that I usually do bark and cleft grafts on. I imagine that the flexible bark would be easy enough to do T-buds on, but I prefer scions on this project. Rather than waiting till next March to graft the dozen greenbacks, I am interested to try this year.Does anyone out there do cleft grafts on the green-barked suckers after the core wood becomes hard? ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here