Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Duplicating Chill Hours?

Posted by czecher 9/10 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 15:49

I know that some of my trees have a required chill time in order to fruit. I know that some rose enthusiasts will ice the water bowl under the tea bushes to stave off flowering. Would this same principal work if used under fruit trees to simulate the chill hours since I normally wont get the requirement they need?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Duplicating Chill Hours?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 16:49

I've never seen any convincing evidence that would work. What will work in a dry climate is evaporative cooling. Mist or spray the tree enough to wet the leaf and fruit buds, let that evaporate, and wet again anytime it warms above 45-54F in winter. This requires an automated system to do any justice to the method. In combination with winter shade this would help.

But it's not likely worth the effort considering all the good low chill fruits one can plant these days.

o

The required chilling is for the buds on the branches. Not for the roots

o

The warm, soaking wet El Nino winter of 1995-1996 in California's central valley had predictions of chilling-hour disaster from the near-tropical weather, but ended up being a record year of productivity. Turns out that water washes off some of what keeps the trees from blossom burst, and the same could be done with lawn sprinklers.

However I agree with fruitnut that there are so many excellent low-chill varieties of stonefruit, this is completely unnecessary. I also ignore the chilling hour rating on apples and do just fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here