Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apricot training

Posted by marknmt 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 15:57

I have an apricot (from a local, unnamed tree) grafted to Marianna rootstock, and it has put on about 18" growth this spring. In the last week to ten days it has started forming branches and it looks like every axial leaf will have a branch in its place. The little tree is in a pot, where I intend to keep it, and I plan to let it reach about four feet height and leave it as a central leader.

I'd appreciate guidelines on managing those branches- I particularly need to understand how long to let the ones I don't plan to keep stay on, and when/whether to head them back, as well as any other observations.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apricot training

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 17:16

I pinch the tips out when they get too floppy. Unless you have a really big pot there usually isn't too much training to do. Did have an Early Blush once that got big long floppy branches. On that one I should have pinched the tips out sooner and headed back more in the dormant season. It you want a bushy smaller plant, tip and head more. If you want an open plant then let them grow.

I usually tip after about two ft of growth.

The size of the pot and watering frequency will control ultimate tree size, no dwarf rootstock needed.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 18:30

o
RE: Apricot training

Thanks, Fruitnut. I'm aiming for a fairly open plant, and am contemplating keeping it to about 6-8 scaffold branches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here