Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So if you were buying a Saijo persimmon ....

Posted by mk-in-ohio 5b/ new 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 15:59

For north central Ohio (on south side of house with winter protection as necessary), where would you buy it? Burnt Ridge, Rolling River and Raintree use lotus rootstock - is that hardy enough for me if I mound over the graft for winter? Stark only has their small size for preorder, and I am not sure what their rootstock is. Lady who answered the phone at Womack couldn't tell me what they use. I probably won't get one from EL as I did not love the Yates I just got from them.

Thanks for any ideas you can give me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So if you were buying a Saijo persimmon ....

Um, if you can wait until fall, Just Fruits and Exotics in Florida has the most awesome trees. A little pricey, but they are far bigger than anything from any other mail order nursery. They would ship in mid October, probably still safe for planting where you are, I guess the other option would be to overwinter in a garage or other sheltered place.

You can e-mail them to ask about availability. I wanted a couple of 'Prok' this fall, and even though now listed as "out of stock", I sent them an e-mail about 4 weeks, and they told me they are growing a fresh crop for fall and reserved 2 in my name.

They are a wonderful company to deal with, hence the "Top 5" rating on the garden watch dog site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Persimmon page on their website

o

Thanks Denninmi. Love their website. For some reason they list Saijo as only hardy to zone 7, and everyone else seems to state it is hardy to -10. I will call and ask them.

o

Saijo has been fully winter-hardy on D.virginiana for me here in z6 KY, about 70 mi NW of Nashville TN - and ripens its fruits well before the onset of winter freezes. IMO it's one of the most cold-hardy - right up there with Sheng and Great Wall.

o

Saijo is a good choice. Womack and Just Fruits both use D.virginiana for rootstock. Both good operations, I have several persimmon from both. J&F will ship a potted tree, and a large pot compared to most shipped potted plants about a 10 inch diameter and probably 18 inch deep and the shipping is expensive as a result. Womack will send bareroot, and the tree's I received from them were large with massive roots.

o

I have a Saijo from Just Fruits and Exotics. Nice tree, very vigorous, breaks bud reasonably late. Unpruned, this tree is 20 x 20 after 10 years. A Sheng they sent me is even larger, about 25 feet tall. These could have been pruned to keep much smaller for easier harvesting.

o

Glad you all don't think I am crazy for trying this! I appreciate all of your responses.

Good to hear that Saijo is hardy for you, Lucky. Are all your Asians on native rootstock?

Strudeldog and Creekweb , thanks for the info on JF and Womacks. Both trees sound great. Seems like Womack might have a minimum order requirement of $60, which is normally no problem as I buy too many plants each year, but I am running out of space. (Or so my husband
says!).

Thanks again!

o

Yes. Have never purchased a persimmon tree - graft all my own on seedling D.virginiana rootstock. I have purchased scionwood of varieties I wanted, but usually can trade for most stuff.
That said, I've never heard anything but good reviews on Womack or JF&E - don't think you can go wrong with either.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 19:43

lucky_p, from where do you purchase scion wood?

I have a few rootstocks wanting to be grafted next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here