Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsteere_gw

Espalier

dsteere
15 years ago

Hi Folks:

Quick question for you.

Working with the horizonal branches. How do you cut the side shoots to start and develope fruiting spurs?

I have a dozen of so Apples and Pears with two tiers and want to start shaping the trees.

Dave

Comments (8)

• jellyman
    15 years ago

Dave:

A quick, short question will often get quick, short replies, which may not be helpful to you. A slower, better-focused question with a little more detail is better.

It is not clear from your question just what kind of guidance you are looking for. Most people, when asked how to cut a side shoot, would say: "With a pruning shears". Obviously, that is not the answer you want.

There are a few people on this forum who use the espalier technique, and may be able to help you if you can reformulate your question. But there is a large volume of information on espalier culture available to you by using your Google function. If you can't find what you are looking for on the internet, come back here and give us a little more background on your trees, and exactly what puzzles you in their training.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

• dsteere
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sure...

A little more detail.

My espalier will someday be four tiers 18" apart.

Each season I will cut the central leader to the hight of the wire and select the two lateral strongest branches and train along the wire. I have nine feet on each side to work with.

Each year I tip prune so that a foot of the new growth of lateral so that side branches will develope. This will create a x-mas tree look until the espalier is finished.

1rst tier is 4'
    2nd tier will be 3'
    3 rd tier will be 2'
    4 tier will be 1'

So each year I add a foot to the lateral and 18" to the central leader.

Now the laterals have developed side shoots.

I have read that you tip prune at the third leaf above the basal cluster of the first leafs on the side shoot. Then the side shot off the side shoot of the lateral you tip prune after the first leaf of the basil cluster. Do you keep doing this each year until the tree is out of bounds?

This from all my reading and research on the net will create fruiting spurs.

I just wanted to get some feedback from folks that have become good at this as to if my thinking is correct.

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

• Posey Planter
    15 years ago

Hi Dave!

I am one of the local espalier aficionados:) I do not have the typical horizontal espaliered apple tree though  mine is a Belgium Fence planting. A little different, but still lots of similarities.

From what IÂm reading here, it looks like youÂre the studious type, doing lots of research up front. Way to go! So, what have you been reading? A particular web site/book? How long have you had your particular tree? What cultivar (scion) of apple & what rootstock are you using?

If you have not already see if you can find a copy of The American Horticultural SocietyÂs Pruning & Training by Christopher Brickell & David Joyce at your local library. If they donÂt have a copy, they can probably get one through inter-library loan. AHS P&T has detailed info on various espalier techniques.

My short (and non-technical) answer regarding cutting side shoots: You just keep cutting them back to almost the same point as the initial cut each time (just giving them a smidgen more wood each time) until they just get tired, give up and make burses (thickened knobs/spurs).

Regards,
    PoseyPlanter

• dsteere
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for replying!

Will have to get the book.

Here is the trees I have started.
    Pyrus pyrifolia 'Kosui'
    Pyrus pyrifolia 'Hosui
    Pyrus pyrifolia 'Olympic'

Pyrus communis 'Buerre Hardy'
    Pyrus communis 'Buerre Bosc'
    Pyrus communis 'Magness'

Malus domestica 'Yellow Transparent'
    Malus domestica 'Jonamac'
    Malus domestica 'Freedom'
    Malus domestica 'Redfree'
    Malus domestica 'Freedom'
    Malus domestica 'Cortland'

Rootstocks are Apple rootstock is EMLA 7
    Pear rootstock is OHxF97 and Bartlett
    Asian Pear rootstock is Betulafolia

I hope posting web sites are allowed here. The link will show you what I have to date. Left the pictures large so folks can see better. Sorry for the picture quality. Figured a picture is worth a thousand words, or a million for me.

Espalier

As you can see I am having some trouble getting tier laterals to shoot out on some trees.

Does anyone see anything that brings out a red flag?

• dsteere
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just bought the book The American Horticultural SocietyÂs Pruning & Training by Christopher Brickell & David Joyce from amazon so I guess I will use that as a guide.

Thanks PoseyPlanter!

And by the way your work is excellent!

- Dave

• glenn_russell
    15 years ago

I too purchased this book on the recommendation of PoseyPlanter. The book is very, very good with lots of great illustrations etc. You won't be disappointed. -Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: My original Espalier Posting

• dsteere
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Glen!

I have started a backyard nursery so will use the book for other plants as well.

• tmhislands
    15 years ago

I would appreciate any and all information and suggestions for espaliering cherry trees. I have a long slightly sloped yard. I would like the height of the espalier to be no higher than 10 feet. The purpose of the espalier will be to serve as a beautiful living fence and provide yummy fruits to eat.

Thanks in advance.

tmhislands (San Juan Islands, WA)

Sponsored
Grant Boulevard Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Fairfax County