Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar Baby Watermelon Question

Posted by alieliza (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 16:22

I have a few qestions about my sugar baby watermelon plants.

I bought them maybe a week or two ago from a nursery. They are pretty small.

One of them has started to produce flowers. The other day I saw one and immediately picked it off as to encourage the plants to get bigger. I didn't know at the time or think to check to see if it were male or female.

I've since learned that the female has a ball (seed pod?? baby fruit...) at the end of the flower.

Today I see what looks to me like a female flower.

Is it?

Should I pick it off, as the plants are maybe too small (I'd like to get a decent amount of melons!) or should I just let it go, and be happy for even one??

All pictures can be seen in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Babies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar Baby Watermelon Question

yes, it's a female flower. The plant is small right now, but I don't know that removing the flower will make any difference. A recent transplant can sit for a bit and then it takes off.

It's up to you, if it were me I would just leave it, but I am not the type to remove flowers from anything.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 22, 07 at 18:01

Judging from another thread I'm guessing others will tell you that it doesn't matter whether you pinch it off or not because that pot isn't large enough to handle the root system required to grow even 1 melon to term on even 1 plant and you appear to have 2 in there.

they still look small enough to transplant though.

o

Alielisa:

Murky is probably quoting me. I think I am the spoil-sport that said it is nearly impossible to grow watermelons, including Sugar Babies, in pots. That's because it is.

If you are happy growing watermelon vines and hoping, that's fine. But watermelons are not in your future.

It would be better to grow something in those pots that would really produce, like sweet peppers, or even hot peppers if you like those.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

Thank you all for your replies.
I will consider transplanting those sugar baby plants.

You've been a big help.

o

Alielisa,

maybe you could get one of those plastic, kid's swimming pools, punch some holes for drainage along the side and plant your watermelons in there. I'm trying this out this year.

Good luck!
Mika

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here