Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wild Rasberries

Posted by richardg40 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 16:24

I have a great Rasberry patch going rows totaling 200 feet long by 2 1/2 feet wide . The problem is more and more i am getting wild rasberry shoots and not the beatiful strong canes i usually get . What i call wild rasberries is just long spinndly plants that grow along the ground but don't produce berries .

Any ideas ifb there is something i could be doing to get more canes and not these wild plants .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wild Rasberries

Do you do routine pruning of your stand? Numerous weak, spindly canes often occur when your hills or the crown of that rootstock gets crowded. Weak canes of course need to be pruned out in early spring, but sometimes you may need to occasionally prune out a crown severely, and leave only the strongest dozen or so canes per plant. Think of a clump of crowded iris or daffodils..........the stand can get so thick there is too much competition for space and nourishment.

o
RE: wild Rasberries

I do prune my rows every spring . It's this year for some reason there 's spaces of like 10 feet long with nothing but week spinndly canes growing on the ground . hardly any strong shoots . And then you walk that ten feet and evrything looks normal again .I have that problem in about 3 spots in my rows . I'll get a good crop of raspberries but don't want that problem to get worse over the coming years .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here