Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pawpaw Sprouting Success

Posted by Edymnion 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 16:24

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I had about given up on all of these things, but when I went to check today, I had one lone seedling finally poking it's head up. Hopefully the rest will be right behind it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pawpaw Sprouting Success

How much time from planting--or removal from refridgerator--until emergence?

Marc

o

Mid February I think.

o

LOL they seem to only sprout when you forget about them :D

I tried Pawpaw seeds for the first time this year. The seeds were collected in sept or nov, and stratified by the supplier. I recieved them second week of January, quickly planted them in 6 cup yogurt containers, and statified half of the 10 seeds, and left the other ones in a shaded warmish area.

One sprouted about 2 months ago, while the others, stratified or not, arent doing a thing. Ive read that the seeds germinate very randomly, and not uniform. They also put out a tap root for 4 - 6 weeks before putting up any above ground/soil growth. I also believe the germination ratio of pawpaw isnt the best as well.

o

I bought some seeds from the Kentucky Champion tree last fall, about 20 and every one has germinated and are growing well.
Another group from a tree in Fremont,CA,about 15-20, have grown 6 plants. Brady

o

I have two of them sprouted now, out of 20, so I will at least have a breeding pair for some fruit. Still hope all the rest will sprout though, got some grand fancies of planting them through my woods out here and trying to get some zebra tail butterflies to release for them too. Re-introduce that whole little niche ecosystem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here