Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberries

Posted by Buzz999 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 16:25

Is there a sure-fire way of determining whether a raspberry plant is ever-bearing or summer bearing? I have raspberries growing on my property that were planted by a previous owner of long ago. I have read on-line that everbearing raspberries can be mowed down at the end of the summer and they will come back and bear fruit the following year. I would like very much to mow down these plants at the end of a season but don't want to gamble on losing these plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberries

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 16:38

I don't think you lose the plants mowing them down, you just won't get a harvest the following year because you won't have canes from the previous year to bear.

But everbearers should be producing flowers about now or shortly on new canes for a fall crop (in my zone, you don't give your zone). And last year's canes should be approaching the end of their production.
If your new canes are producing flowers now or soon you should be OK to mow them over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here