Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garye5007

newly planted stella cherry tree need help!!!

garye5007
9 years ago

Hi, I know this isn't the best time to plant a cherry tree, but I did it anyway... Got the tree and it looked fine. Planted it last thursday and watered it well rained hard fri watered again sat. since friday it doesn't look so good. Leaves are drooping and looking somewhat wilted. Am i watering too much? Do you have any suggestions on what I should do?
I posted a pic so you can see it.Please excuse my ignorance about this... I don't want to lose this tree!
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Gary

Comments (3)

• agrocoders
    9 years ago

Looks fine just wilted from the heat. Mine wilts everyday but the root system was only mediocre. I avoid watering it all the time to encourage root growth.

I've never see a tree with decent roots that you couldn't plant spring, summer, or fall or a dormant tree you couldn't plant in winter.

This post was edited by AgroCoders on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 16:42

• Scott F Smith
    9 years ago

Gary, I would say the tree is in shock from its sudden change. The only concrete thing you can do at this point is to erect a shade barrier and keep it up for a few weeks while the roots adapt. Just put a sheet on the southern side with some poles to block the direct sunlight for those few weeks. Cherries are northern climate trees genetically and can have difficulty with strong sun.

Scott

• garye5007
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies!
    We have had a couple of cloudy days and your correct, must have been the sun... looks MUCH better now. I try to shade it some.
    Thanks Again! Gary