Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
They only eat PART of the strawberry

Posted by HotHabaneroLady 7a Central MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 16:34

I just stepped out to eat the first strawberry of the year. As so often happens, I discovered a rich, red, luscius fruit attached to the plant . . . with a big bite taken out of it.

I have a neighborhood full of squirrels, rabbits, mice, chipmunks, raccoons and all sorts of other critters along with insects, so I am well aware that whatever I get to eat will be their left overs. But every year I wonder why I find fruits on the plant with just one bite eaten. Why do they not remove it from the stem? Or at least eat the whole thing?

Angie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: They only eat PART of the strawberry

well they was leaving you a sample of the berry ;) , dang birds are nailing me this spring , the netting goes up tomorrow

o

I know that it is a rabbit that is nibbling only part of my strawberries. Brady

o

Many animals only eat part of the fruit. Sometimes I think it's because they are trying to perpetuate the plant. The half they don't eat rots and nourishes the seeds, which will plant itself and feed the animals offspring. It's a theory, I have no evidence.

o

Haven't you ever opened a box of chocolates, taken one and take a bite of it, and then put the uneaten half back, hoping you could find a better chocolate? Every box of chocolate that makes it into my house at one point is mostly comprised of half eaten chocolates.

Slugs annoy me with the strawberries. It seems like they hit lots of berries a little bit, but if they would just focus on a few fruit they would be able to eat just as much and leave lots of untouched berries. But no, they mar everyone they can reach.

o

Mine are like that from the rolypolys.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here