Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a Pear or Cherry tree (Or something else??)

Posted by andysam none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 16:46

Hello, i just moved into this house and I cant figure out what type of tree this is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a Pear or Cherry tree (Or something else??)

Another pic of the leaves

o

Looks like a cherry tree.

o

If it is a cherry, when should flowers start forming? I live in sunny southern CA

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 17:55

It will flower in March. Depending on rootstock and variety it might start flowering in year 2 to 5.

o

definitely looks like cherry. Looks almost exactly like my Black Gold tree.

o

It is a cherry. I wonder if it needs more chill hours than California can provide. Basically if the tree does not see cold winter weather then it might never fruit very well if at all.

o

Cristobalina is somewhat common in So. California. Could be Minnie Royal or Royal Lee. All 200 chills or less. Depends on where in SoCal you are (chill hours) and if the home owner knew what he was doing (or just liked a cherry tree's looks without the fruit). And how long the tree has been in the ground (at least 3 years from what I see but maybe not more). If your area has 400 or more then quite a few cultivars could have been tried.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cristobalina at Arboreum

o

You might need a pollinator for your cherry, if you want fruit next year, bing or stella will do the job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here