Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueboy1977

Blackberry Variety Identification

blueboy1977
10 years ago

I have a variety that was labeled as Kiowa but its defiantly not but it is thorny. Trying to figure out what variety it is. It's noticeably later than Kiowa and Tupi. The flavor is the best I've had from any of my varieties. It doesn't seem to grow very well here in zone 9A/B only sending up one or two canes a year and they are pretty thin at that. The berries a very unique and long. Doesn't produce a lot of fruit here but the flavor is superb, not very acidic at all and delicious!!!

{{gwi:114670}}

{{gwi:114671}}

This post was edited by blueboy1977 on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 16:50

Comments (12)

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

Favors Chickasaw Blackberries if is it may get double blossom (witches broom) if does on to next variety not much you do to stop. They make alot double bite berries the Chickasaw thorny plants has best flavor. Chickasaw by favorite fresh eating blackberry.
    Cane you loose the number canes because heat in your zone in high country there 5 are are more cane per plant up to 9 I get 2 to 3 in zone 8b. I did long lateral's because fewer canes it made more production that way. after fruiting good fertilizing 14 days before September you can get a lot new growth I had 5 acres at one time of Chickasaw. One year I picked with a lot help 52,000 pounds of Chickasaw.
    My Tupy produces 1 gallon berries this year I tip rooted the plant lateral last September in January cut limbs transplanted the rooted.
    Today made my first this year's fruit wine start a good 9 gallons in 2 five gallon new buckets. Used Texas recipe lol.

• blueboy1977
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How do you like your Tupy Gator? I like it much better than Kiowa. Great size on the fruit too like Kiowa! The flavor is sweeter too but just alittle tang. I really like them and thinking about replacing Kiowa with Tupy.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Where did you find the Tupy?

• blueboy1977
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got mine at the Urban Harvest Fruit Tree Sale here in Houston. I haven't seen them any where else. Gator may know where to order them.

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

Bam I find mind at Pense nursery in north western Arkansas they now have 100 dollar min. order. I'm planing and order for shipment in December after there first hard freeze 28 are below that be dormant plants week later. I'll place order in September for first dug shipment. They grow for all big nursery's by million's you need plants grown at high elevation because no viruses that high. All dates and shipping times out my hands. Tupy should be very plentiful this season coming third or fourth year into tupy.

This post was edited by gator_rider2 on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 19:03

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

From photos I have seen they look like tayberries. I have a plant, but it was just put in the ground this year, It is a weak grower too, but that is because my dog thought it was a fire hydrant. I just recently put chicken wire around it. A thorny plant also.
    Tayberries are very soft. If you got them from a nursery that carries chickasaw and not tayberries or viceversa, it might help ID.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Gator,

Thanks. The $100 minimum would be a issue as I certainly don't need that many of them:)

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

lol they have Pamlico SHB BAM

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

The ravens are going to be my last row of SHB:) I looked at the site but dont see Tupy listed? The minimum also states $30? Do you have a more updated list Gator?

This post was edited by bamboo_rabbit on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 19:44

• blueboy1977
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input Drew. These berries are very firm when ripe. They don't fall off in your hand either when picking like Kiowa does. It takes just alittle bit of force to get them off. They are defiantly a blackberry though.

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

How do you like your Tupy Gator? I like it much better than Kiowa. Great size on the fruit too like Kiowa! The flavor is sweeter too but just alittle tang. I really like them and thinking about replacing Kiowa with Tupy.

That what I do Blue Tupy now by standard taste was very good new cane come this year are large I got 3 new cane and out side cane that good size. You one year ahead me on Tupy my plant only 18 months old now. I had thousand Kiowa at one time larger trons what you have on plant in photo the cylinder shape fruit does fit both chickasaw and Kiowa.

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

Bam I got list for 2012-2013 Boston mountain nurseries 100 min. order with 18 % shipping I don't have new prices for 2013-2014. There several nurseries up there I don't no about them all.