Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding soil to blackberry bed

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 17:02

I built my blackberry/raspberry raised bed the fall before last season. The soil in the bed has settled quite a bit. I was thinking of just adding more soil in on top (something like 2" of soil and 2" of mulch), but was wondering if the plants might be unhappy to be buried deeper or not?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding soil to blackberry bed

Hi Cara. I add new soil to my beds every other year and add new mulch as well. It hasn't hurt the plants yet, and I have 12 of them in my bed. MrsG

o

4 inches of added soil/mulch will not bother caneberries, it would make them happier if it contained some composted manure.

Do it well before or after new canes emerge in the spring as tool or other activity can easily damage the new sprouts.

o

Thanks guys :)

o

I'm going to piggy-back on this post and ask the resident experts:

Can you bury the crown of a semi-erect blackberry like Chester/Triple Crown?

I have a blackberry plant or two that have "settled" deeper than I planted them last year. The plants are sitting lower than the soil line, but the plants moved down with the soil. If I add soil to get the soil line up flat the crown of the plants will be somewhat buried. Will this hurt them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here