Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sqwerl

Cherry Leaf Spot?

Sqwerl
9 years ago

Does anybody know if this is Cherry Leaf Spot? I would say about one third of the leaves look like this. Sad.

The afflicted tree is a Montmorency Cherry (Prunus ceracus), semi-dwarf.

Comments (5)

• ltilton
    9 years ago

Sure looks like it.

• iowajer
    9 years ago

It looks like it to me too. You'll want to remove and destroy the fallen leaves, and probably spray a fungicide on a regular schedule.

• mamuang_gw
    9 years ago

I use myclobutanil with a brand name Imminox at petal fall and one more 14 days later. That's sufficient for me. Using it too often could create resistance. Captan is also recommended.

There are many articles by university extension services on this topic. It's a common cherry leave disease.

• Sqwerl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

Does anybody have experience with Daconil (Chlorothalonil)?

• iowajer
    9 years ago

I use Immunox mainly, but have Chlorothalonil in the rotation so as to avoid resistance that Mamuang talked about. A lot of the Universities recommend Chlorothalonil noting that it has a broad spectrum.

I'm glad Mamuang brought up the resistance thing, because someone on the forum once noted that it's tough enough to get products that work effectively, so the last thing you want to do is create resistance unnecessarily.

I think the two applications would be good going forward, but I would not hesitate to make an application once your harvest is over. Especially since you do already have it.

I think MSU did a field study on the spores from leaf drop -vs- spores on the leaves still on the tree, and concluded that the spread from the leaf to leaf on those remaining on the tree really was more of a problem than the spores from last years fallen leaves caused. (The idea is that there is such a short distance from infected leave to non-infected leaves on a tree during the growing season, making for a target-rich environment)

But I think it'd be beneficial to stop the progression as much as you're able to, as soon as possible.