Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diseased strawberry plants?

Posted by stormywormie Zone 5; N. Utah (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 17:10

I have some quinault strawberry plants that I bought at the store earlier in the season because I was so anxious to grow something. However, the plants stayed very small and no matter how much I watered they still seemed dry and brittle, like they needed more water. Then I bought some extremely healthy-looking strawberry plants from a local greenhouse. These plants looked fantastic and still, for the most part, do. I am worried, though, that the store-bought plants may have a disease because the healthier plants started to show signs of necrosis around the leaf edges after being around the first plants for a while and a few of the first plants have died off. They are producing berries, though, but my main concern is that some of the soil I used to plant these in may have gotten into my large bed and I am worried that it could infect my other plants. I'm thinking that it must be some disease because it seems like the symptoms were passed on to the healthier plants, but that they have tried hard to resist it. Here is a link to pictures on my Pinterest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diseased Strawberries

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diseased strawberry plants?

They're drying out.

Perhaps too much water; too little water; or damaged roots. You get to check.

o
RE: Diseased strawberry plants?

How are you watering? Slow deep drip or spraying them from the top? I found that they do not like water on the leaves (especially when the sun is out). I think it'd be hard to over water strawberries in a dry place like Utah.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here