Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberry plants - where can I buy some?

Posted by catfishhoward none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 17:13

I'm looking to buy 1 Bababerry, 1 Tayberry, 1 Anne Yellow & 1 Fall Gold. I live in Atlanta, Georgia and most places on-line I've found only do on-line shipping starting in November. Is there any Nurseries selling 3 year old plants within an hour drive? Is there a reason they only sell in November?

Thanks, Paul.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberry plants - where can I buy some?

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 17:30

Well it's not a good time to transfer to ground, the season started already and online places sell bare root.
Since they back their plants they will not sell them with such a high likelihood of failure in the summer. Many they would have to replace for free.
A Tayberry is more like a blackberry, a raspberry-blackberry hybrid. Fruit forms on 2nd year canes. All the others fruit forms on 1st year canes.

o

If the nursery is selling bare root they wait until the plants have dropped their leaves and gone dormant. They also want them to survive shipping and not be dried out by the heat or frozen in the winter.

I'm waiting for an Amaryllis that I bought on sale for 60% off They won't ship it to me til after October. You may find some sale prices now as nurseries like to have income in their off season.

o

I called Willis Orchard Company which is close to my home and they won't be selling Raspberries until later this year, they are currently in the ground and don't have any in pots to sell.

I really wanted nice 3 year old plants so I could judge the quality the rest of the year and next year to determine which ones I like best for a larger order in 2 years. Has anyone ordered 3 year old raspberries from Willis Orchard? Will they come with any primocanes? or should they produce new prims this coming spring? I think as long as it's comes with the whole root system I should get new prims in the spring. I just don't want to be disappointed with a small root system and 1 prim, I'd rather spent more money now and buy the whole plant now, if I can find any?

o

If your goal is to taste different varieties, I'd suggest trying to find different PYO or extension tastings to try out flavors. Not too many people sell more mature plants and you'll pay a premium for a relatively small plant that might not produce well or much.

o

JStubbs, your probably right about the PYO if I can find a place with the plants I like, I'll call around, I know there's a nice place near Athens, GA

What is an extension tasting?

I don't mind paying more for a nice plant, I just don't want a 3 year old that looks like a 1 year old.

o

By extension tasting, I was thinking of some of the things that local state agricultural extensions do- they may have plant trials, and sometimes also invite the public to come and sample different fruit.

I think the trouble with 3 year old plants is that they need to have a large root system = expensive to ship (or else they look like the 1 year old plants you mention), and they also have increased chances of spreading pests & diseases so it's hard to find a seller of them.

o

Anyone know of any Pick Your Own farms around Atlanta, GA that might have Bababerry, Tayberry, Anne Yellow or Fall Gold?

o

Well I decided not to buy any on-line raspberries, I will wait and hope I can find the ones I want next spring in local nurseries where I can buy a nice quality plant.

o

catfishhoward,

Here's a link that might be helpful when selecting raspberries varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackberries and Raspberries for Georgia

o

Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 8:03

I myself would only buy online, but to each his own. My berries are doing great and this is the 2nd year for these from online nursuries.

o

catfishhoward,

Anne and Fall Gold are available from local nurseries in my area and may be available from nurseries in your area if they suitable for your climate. Indiana Berry and Nourse Farms are two online retailers that offer good quality plants at reasonable prices but they don't offer Bababerry and Tayberry. Given your heat, Boysenberry might be a good alternative.

o

Hi Gang...you can also buy live plants online now in 1-3 gallon sizes , even on Ebay as well...i've bought live plants and kept them in pots until Fall or transplant without disturbing the root system by dropping the whole plant dirt and all in it's new location....careful is the key here to prevent shock........i'm getting the new Prime Ark Freedom Thornless Blackberry this week and i'll have to see what i get in order to transplant or not........probably best to get plants in the Fall as the root system get's a chance to settle in and take hold before winter so the energy of the plant is diverted to upward growth in the spring, that's been my experience so far.

o

I would second Drew51's recommendation for buying online. Nearly all of my raspberries and blackberries were purchased online and do as well as or better than local purchases. Try for potted plants over bareroot plants. My potted plants have about a 95% success rate whereas my bareroot plants are probably around 75%.

My other bit of advice is the "2 plant rule". If you are willing to go to the trouble of ordering, planting, and waiting nearly 2 years for a plant to produce fruit, buy a second one to improve your odds of success. For me, it's easier to recover the $8-10 for the extra plant than the 2 years of lost effort.

o

(Greenhorn2), I bought some Prime Freedom over a month ago from a on line company, they were tissue cultures (2" plugs). When the 5 plants arrived in a large envelop they were pretty sad looking so I planted them in pots for a month, the roots took well and new growth was appearing so I planted and fertilized them in the ground a couple of days ago, so far so good.

o

Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 15:31

Tissue cultures can be small, but you know they are good clean stock. Nourse and indiana berry sell bare root/potted, but the plant will be much bigger than pictured.
I agree a plant that size takes some time to grow. I had one that took 3 years before I tasted fruit, that was this summer. Whereas others produced the spring i put them in, ones from Stark brothers and Indiana Berry. i would really check out Indiana Berry. Impressive plants super cheap. they will not arrive sad looking. They will be dormant if bare root and leafless, but you can see how robust a cutting you have. the roots are well developed.
Indiana Berry is sold out for the season. They have Fall Gold, 3 dollars a plant. The cane will be as thick as your index finger. OK, maybe not that thick, but nice!

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 15:38

o

(jtburton) When I talked to the Willis Orchard receptionist over the phone she couldn't tell me if there 3 year old raspberry plants shipping this fall had 1, 2, or 3 primocanes or how they were even packaged, I really don't want a 3 year old plant with only 1 cane or should i just buy a 1 year old plant.

I never bought a raspberry on-line (lets say a Fall Gold $6.95), if 1 cane from a 3 year old plant show up on my door step and I plant it this fall how many +/- primocanes should I get next year, would I even get any fall berries next year.

o

My TC plugs I bought from Nourse Farms have done amazing since planting them this summer considering how small they were. My PrimeArk Freedom are all a couple feet long now and flower buds are now forming on the primocanes which I didn't think would happen this year. My Niwot black raspberry from them has also grown several feet already from the tiny plugs they were.

I highly recommend Nourse.

Tyler

o

Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 9:45

My experience with Nourse, Indiana berry, or Stark brothers, all send out decent sized floricanes. One floricane usually. You can plant (bare root only) as long as ground is workable. Even if freezing temps, plant it. You will get 1 to 3 primocanes the first year. Sometimes these primocanes don't produce the first year. They fruit too late. The 2nd year they fruit at a better time for your area. Not all. I bought Himbo top from Stark and it fruited the first year fine. Whereas Double Gold did not. it really depends on cultivar. The one floricane might throw a summer crop too, so you get an early taste. Even cut floricanes will produce.

Here is photo. The tall plant near the middle. All to the left are older, to the right were planted last year. Himbo top from Stark Brothers, and Anne from Indiana Berry.
Mostly floricanes you see, I left them for a summer crop. Primocanes are there too. So you really do not have to wait long for a decent crop. All are producing well.

o

I've decided to order a couple of raspberry from Willis since they have the certain cultivars I'm looking for, I just wish I could have purchase nice green potted plants even if they cost more, guess I started looking to late. Thanks to all that replied.

o

Here is what I ended up doing, I put down some silt fence from Lowes and left a 2' open strip for my blackberries. I can now spray all the rest of the island without hurting the blackberries and pick any weeds along the 2' open strip.

o

Picture after putting down pine needles, I think I'll put down my mulched leaves this fall so I don't have to keep paying for pine needles.

o

Oops, I posted the last two pictures about the silt fence in the wrong forum post, I meant to post it under my post in Weeds. Sorry.

o

catfishhoward ,

Sorry... I didn't click the checkbox for updates on this thread or I would have responded sooner.

By the end of year 2, your tissue culture plant and the 3-year raspberry plant will be the same size, so there isn't much value in buying bigger plants, at least in my opinion. Older plants in pots often need to have their roots trimmed because the very quickly circle the pots they are in and won't grow as well unless you trim the roots, which will set the plant back a bit.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you... hopefully Willis delivers live plants...they don't have a good reputation for online orders. I did notice that Bay Laurel Nursery will offer Baba next year, if you change your mind or need replacements.

I know you want to get big plants fast but the fruit business takes some patience because if you do it right, these plants can provide fruit for 10 years or more. Put in bad stock and you'll be doing this again next year.

One of the better ways of getting a lot of raspberries fast is buying rootstock. I have purchased Anne, Caroline, Tulameen, and Cascade Delight raspberry rootstock from Scenic Hill Farm Nursery and it worked great each time. The plants establish quickly and you have a whole patch instead of 2 or 3 plants. I'm not sure they are in season but they sell through Ebay as well. If you plant the rootstock for Fall-bearing varieties like Caroline or Anne in the early Spring you should have fruit by the Fall. By the next summer you will have a whole patch of healthy raspberry plants.

If you go with bareroot stock, you will get a bigger root system and the price is usually pretty low. All of my black and purple raspberries were planted as bare roots, except one.

o

Here's my one example. This is a bed with 5 jewel black raspberry plants. The plant on the far right was purchased as a 2yr potted plant and the other 4 plants were all bareroot plants. The bareroot plants were planted on 4/26/13 and all fruited this year. This picture was taken earlier today. As you can see, all of the plants are essentially the same size.

o

catfishhoward,

By the way, I liked you blackberry layout. I'm a big fan of pine needles :-)

Here's one more example of a 'tissue culture' blackberry that I planted this spring. It's a Columbia Star blackberry. The tissue culture plants arrive as 2" plugs...really small. For comparison, that planter box is 2ft x 2ft.

o

I wouldn't trust Willis on bareroot berries :( I ordered a seedling pawpaw from them that did very well, but the brambles I ordered at the same time were just plain dead. There's a difference between bareroot and dead ;) The replacements they sent for those were also no good.

I ordered very small potted ones from Raintree and those have done very well. I wasn't going to trust any bareroot brambles after awful Willis, lol. I would now, but only from places that have great reputations. Raintree has a very nice selection, too, I think. I got most every interesting hybrid berry they had, and they've all done great so far :) Oh, and a couple of regular raspberries and blackberries, too!

I couldn't remember how long in the season they still sold potted brambles, but it is longer than bareroot season. They might start earlier (before dormancy in the fall/winter), too, so check them out if you don't need the big potted plants.

o

Thanks, for the replies, I deferentially got a late start planting this year, I got my 4 cultivars of blackberries planted in time, just didn't thing about raspberries in time.

I'm pretty made up on the 4 cultivars of raspberries (Bababerry, Tayberry, Anne Yellow & Fall Gold) I really want. I've talked to Willis Orchard and they will let me pick up the plants later in November and I figure since they are a local grower and I can get the plants in the ground quicker and inspect the plants I should have a good chance of survival and in 2016 when I decide on the blackberry and raspberry cultivars I really want on the rest of my property I can make a larger purchase and pick them up.

o

Catfishhoward I live about 45 minutes west of Atlanta. I've been very happy with polka red raspberries that I planted this past fall. They have been producing consistently for about a month. I ordered them last fall from berries unlimited, as small potted plants.

o

Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 11:23

Tayberry is more a blackberry, the core stays with the fruit. Although it is red. it is extremely soft. I have a plant, 2nd year. producing this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here