Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To mulch or Not to mulch my strawberries...?

Posted by half-full z9 - San Lorenzo, Ca (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 17:15

Hello, I have a few everbearing strawberries which are still sitting in their 1 gallon containers from the nursery. I'm preparing to plant this pretty soon into a wooden bed that I put together which is about 12 inches deep. Hope the depth of this will be sufficient.

In any event, my question is this, I was interested in putting in some mulch to keep the soil off the strawberries which may also help ward off any fungal issues and keep them cleaner. I'm thinking of going with the straw. I know pine needles is also suggested but this seemed perhaps a bit too prickly.

I read that the oat, wheat or soybean straw were the best choices to use here. I also read that some straws have seeds which would not do me any good. Would like to find some seedless straw mulch online that would be ideal for my purpose.. Anybody know any good recommended product that can be purchased online?

I can't seem to find this stuff in my area... Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks again..

Richard S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To mulch or Not to mulch my strawberries...?

If you can get the pine straw, use it.

o

I thought about pine straw or pine needles as there also called, as I read this can slightly increase the acidity of the soil as they decompose which may be a good thing for strawberries but thought of having something sharp and prickly may be bothersome.

The straw mulch seems more easier and softer to handle... *shrugs*

Would like to find a good seedless type of straw that I can use to mulch.. Online ordering would work well... I found this but they don't deliver, and driving to New Hampshire from California isn't really a feasible option....

Does anybody know any good recommended online sources...?

Richard S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedless Straw

o

Straw by definition should have few or no seeds. When it includes seeds it is then usually called hay. Straw should only have stalks and no heads, although no straw you will ever buy will be perfectly seed free.

o

Hi Capoman and thanks for your reply. I been looking around online and having a bit of a tough time trying to find some seedless straw to use for my strawberry bed.

If anybody has any suggestions or know of any online source that carries a good oat, wheat or soybean straw please let me know....... I basically want to keep the strawberries from laying directly onto the soil....

o

My son lives in Paradise Pines, where homeowners are required to keep the pine needles raked up as a fire hazard. My grandsons made good spending money raking and hauling them to the dump. I like them better as a mulch as they are weed free and last longer than any hay or straw. Al

o

Hi Al, aren't pine needles a little prickly to the touch? I have read that they slightly increase the acidity of the soil as they decompose which sounds like a good thing considering there around strawberries. But I also read that straw is also good mulch around strawberries and your not dealing with the pinch prickly pine straw, so long we can find some without any seeds....

o

Pine needles are no more prickly than straw, but VERY good for your strawberries.
I looked on the net and there is a place who will ship you a bale, but the shipping is crazy.

o

Pine needles are no more prickly than straw, but VERY good for your strawberries.
I looked on the net and there is a place who will ship you a bale, but the shipping is crazy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here