Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
calcium on apples

Posted by john222-gg Mississippi 8a/8b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 17:20

I have a small problem with fungus on my apples. The main problem is where I live. Apples don't like the deep south. I have heard that spraying calcium could help. I have a large bottle of calcium tablets that my wife had left over was wondering if I could put a few in spray when I spray next time. Would it hurt or not help? should be ok for trees if people can take them. Just what do ya'll think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: calcium on apples

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 0:09

I believe the commercial guys use calcium nitrate. I'm sure they don't use what your wife takes. It's probably not soluable enough and would just set on the skin. It probably won't hurt anything.

o

I don't see how calcium will help with your fungus problem. You should describe, or better, submit photos of the disease and maybe we can suggest the fungicide you might use.

Calcium is only helpful for certain summer fruit rots and storage disorders of apples like bitter pit and corking. The rots are circular black areas that eat into the flesh.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 9:19

I was thinking of Ca for storage disorders. Sorry, next time I'll read the question better instead of assuming.

For fungus you'll need a fungicide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here