Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nandakumar_gw

Help with Asian pear tree

nandakumar
10 years ago

My Shinseiki Asian pear seems to have issues, it leafed out really well but the leaves are curled and the new branches doesn't grow. Attached are few pictures.

Appreciate your help..

Picture 1

Comments (17)

• nandakumar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture 2

• nandakumar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture 3

• nandakumar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture 4

• Noogy
    10 years ago

Keep it watered and mulch as it looks a little stressed.I have a couple trees that I got late to transplant ant they look like yours. I've had to water them more often as they lack the roots. Good luck.

• nandakumar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Noogy, will start watering daily and mulch around the base and see how it goes.

I got this Asian pear tree from Doan's nursery in Irving, TX. I showed these pictures to them and they said that it could be because of insect/spider mite attack. Do you think this is also a possibility? If it is, then what insecticide or pesticide you would suggest. I did try with neem oil and it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks

• Noogy
    10 years ago

I thought that but the leaves usually curve down/curl, shielding the aphids. A quick inspection of the under rside of the leaves will reveal aphids, but mites will be a little more difficult to spot depending on the species. A light summer horticultural oil takes care of them if that's the issue, making sure to make contact under the leaves. I've also foulnd that a spraying with a rough jet of water from the hose to be effective on the aphids, making sure they are actuelly washing off. I sometimes use my fingers to rub them off as I spray and unravel the leaves.
    Good luck

• Noogy
    10 years ago

I thought that but the leaves usually curve down/curl, shielding the aphids. A quick inspection of the under rside of the leaves will reveal aphids, but mites will be a little more difficult to spot depending on the species. A light summer horticultural oil takes care of them if that's the issue, making sure to make contact under the leaves. I've also foulnd that a spraying with a rough jet of water from the hose to be effective on the aphids, making sure they are actuelly washing off. I sometimes use my fingers to rub them off as I spray and unravel the leaves.
    Good luck

• nandakumar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again Noogy, I just went and noticed the trees, don't seem to find Aphids but I could see many tiny spider webs between leaves and small branches, are these indicate the presence of spider mites? the webs are not only in my pear tree but also in almost all of my other trees such as Peach, Plum, Kumquat, Pomegranate and even in my Blueberry plants. Does spider mites create web like regular spiders? what would be best option to get-rid of them.

Thanks

• maryhawkins99
    10 years ago

I bought a 20'th Century and Hosui from Doans about March, they seem to be doing much better. I water 3 times a week, & use more mulch than is shown. I also bought some Asian pears from Raintree and Bay Laurel, they look about like your tree.

• Noogy
    10 years ago

The light horticultural oil spray when it's cool in the evening, not when it's hot. A couple applications 5-7 days apart. I had the pear blister mites and the oil knocked them out.

• nandakumar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks bhawkins, I got my Shinseiki in the first week of March and it did leaf out well but after some time it didn't progress further. Hope it recovers.

• nandakumar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Noogy, please let me know where to find the light horticultural oil spray. I went to Home Depot and Lowes but both doesn't seem to carry it and did ask for help as well. May I should have used differently.

Thanks

• Noogy
    10 years ago

Amazon.com has it. Do a search for 'horticultural oil'. In many cases the help at these big chains is poor. They probably have it somewhere. In fact I need some. Good luck.

• curtis
    10 years ago

I would put something there to give it a few hours shade in the hottest hours of the day.

• Noogy
    10 years ago

I was at the hardware again and have only seen Volks dormant oil until I saw a product that was 'not petroleum based' year round use. Cool, I read the ingreds and for $16 I thought the canola oil was a bit pricey. Nice profit margins. Mix @ 2%, which is 1 tbsp/1/2 gallon? I think this is it. So I'd add a couple drops of dishsoap to the mix or even the spreader/sticker. Shake. Again, spray in the evening, wash off next day, apply in 5 days. That should knock them out.

• nandakumar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks cckw, there is wind here, so have find something sturdy enough to provide shade and not to fall on the tree. I think today is the first day weather crossed 100+, hope I can protect all my plants this summer.

• nandakumar
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Noogy, appreciate your help and thanks for the oil recipe.

Will try it this weekend and update the forum.