Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moorpark Apricot tree not blooming

Posted by Wendy8 CO 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 17:37

We recently moved to our current property that has some fruit trees including a Moorpark apricot tree. It was planted in 2000. It was bearing lots of amazing fruit last July right before we moved in. We pruned it in mid February of this year, and used a fertilizer stick to fertilize it around the same time. All the rest of my fruit trees are blooming but the Moorpark is just leaves. The buds from last year( I'm guessing) just fall off at the touch. I don't think it's going to bear any fruit this year...what happened? Did we prune at the wrong time, or perhaps is it too old to bear fruit? We are new to fruit trees so any advice or instruction is greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moorpark Apricot tree not blooming

Did you have a late freeze?

o

Dbl

This post was edited by campv on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 18:26

o

I honestly can't remember a specific day that stands out as a "freeze." However, we did have a very late spring this year, and it was colder than normal later, so it is very possible we had a "freeze" that I just didn't notice. Also, I have a bing cherry tree that 1/2 froze (I'm guessing-only 1/2 of it has leaves and blossomed) which leads me to believe that we did indeed have a late freeze.

What is considered a late freeze date? When do the Moorpark trees start to "de-winterize?" Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening if it is a freezing issue?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here