Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I prune these vertical branches on young plum tree?

Posted by iamzvonko 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 17:41

Hello,

The plum tree in attached picture was planted last summer. It didn't have too many long branches but I still pruned it this spring to try and get an open center. They really took off and now I have some nice branches. However, there are a few, as you can see in picture, that are growing straight up.

Is it OK to prune those so the energy goes into growing the lateral branches?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I prune these vertical branches on young plum tree?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 17:58

You can prune them but they are just going to grow back. And the laterals aren't going to magically start growing where you want them to. Instead I'd suggest training them to the open vase shape you want. And tip them if they get too long and floppy.

My trees are small so I don't go for the open vase shape. Mine are more a small bush. I do tip the branches when they reach the max height I'm wanting.

o

Thanks fruitnut. Any suggestions on how to train them?

Also, I'm not familiar with the term "tip them". What does that mean?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 19:57

Tipping just means to pinch out the tip. I train using strings tried off to a stake or weight on the ground. Don't strangle the branch. Rather loop the string over the branch and pull it where you want it positioned.

o

Select just 3 or 4 of all the branches and leaders, and train them down so they spread out, and prune off all the others. If you like where the lower ones are already, just prune out all the tall spindly ones. Personally I'd rather get rid of those spindly ones and keep the ones that have the most leaves on them. Then 3 or 4 times per year, continue to prune out any new leaders or branches that shade the center of the tree. Search YouTube for Dave Wilson Nurseries and you'll find dozens of videos that show exactly how to do this.

There's really no right or wrong way to prune. Or should I say, the right way to do it is the way YOU want it. If you want an open center, then prune to maintain an open center. Simple as that, really.

o

Thanks everyone for your replies.

dmtaylor - I've come to realize that "there is no right way," as you say, when it comes to gardening. It's nice, though, to hear from lots of different people and then make your own decision.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here