Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosaprimula

snapped at graft union - insane lifesaving behaviour

Campanula UK Z8
11 years ago

um, not even a lurker, I am afraid, but desperation, yah know! Anyway, I have a little peach tree (Garden Lady or some such) which was mangled by vicious winds (and my incomplete understanding of wind patterns in minuscule walled gardens). Sunday morning, it was still hanging on despite being horizontal, with a sliver of cambium still attached. Anyway, in an insane attempt at rescue, I jammed a broom handle down the middle and whipped out swathes of micropore and wrapped round the graft (horribly mangled looking, not like a nice neat cut). I expected it to be on its ass by Monday evening and today, Tuesday, has been a hot one, but blow me, it is still hanging in. I have not even cut back any of the top growth as it seemed such a mental long shot.

Please understand, I have fought a long and losing battle with the horrible peach leaf curl at my allotmment so this little peach was a last ditch attempt at growing peaches in the dubious safety of my home garden. Wild optimism is surely one of the foundations of gardening but I sure would like to be put out of misery sooner rather than later with a more objective view.

Comments (4)