Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering strawberries zone 9

Posted by SweetSerenity none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 17:46

I've had my strawberries growning in a raised bed. Now that the berry season is over I don't know how to care for the plants until next year.
I need to move them out of the raised bed to make room for other crops so I will plant them in pots. I will plant the runners in pots until they have rooted.
My question is:
Do I keep watering the older plants or do I let them die down naturally and resume watering when the growing season starts again?
Assuming that I am supposed to let them die down, here is a follow up question:
Do I keep watering the parent plants as well as the runner plants until they have rooted or do I only water the runner plant?
I'd be greatful for any advice. I have searched the internet for information but have not been able to find any.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering strawberries zone 9

Most of us in the coastal area of zone 9 California will grow 'everbearing' or day neutral strawberries and enjoy the fruit all summer. For your system I would keep them growing and healthy all year until winter frost when I would cut the foliage back. I like to start the season with new clean foliage. Al

o
RE: Overwintering strawberries zone 9

Overwintering? WINTER......SLOWLY I TURN. The sight of the word winter freaks me out. Please don't mention it for at least anoter 2 months. We're trying to enjoy our summer up here in the NE. Only kidding :-);-)

There's plenty of information about "renovating" strawberries, depending on which types, June bearing, or everbearing, that you are growing. I have June bearing, and trim off the tops of the plants after harvest, and continue to water them which establishes the plant for next year. I nurture any runners that I will use to replace spent plants over a few years old.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here