Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

question on blueberry shrubs

Lynn Nevins
10 years ago

This is my first year growing blueberries, and I have very little experience so far with growing any fruits/veggies... Most of my experience is with plants, trees, shrubs, etc.

I have two different varieties of blueberry, which I heard was best in order to produce better success with the berries. Anyway, I saw that only some of the flowers turned into the start of blueberries. With the rest of the flower 'buds', the white flowers themselves fell off (likely during windy days in the past two weeks), but there's no sign of a blueberry developing from those buds.

Why would some of the flower buds produce blueberries and others not? Does each individual flower need to be pollinated in order to produce a berry?

Also, did I hear that sometimes you'll get more than one 'batch' of berries each year....and if so, how does that work....do some flower 'buds' simply get pollinated at different times of the year? Or will the same buds that were already pollinated once this year....once the first berries are ripe and I remove them, will they then start to develop new berries again...one or two more times in the year?

Lastly, in the past week or two I suddenly noticed a bunch of new leggy shoots coming from the plant. Is this good or bad considering the time of year? Should I leave the new long shoots....cut them back to promote more bushiness?

Tx!

Comments (2)