Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question on blueberry shrubs

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 17:51

This is my first year growing blueberries, and I have very little experience so far with growing any fruits/veggies... Most of my experience is with plants, trees, shrubs, etc.

I have two different varieties of blueberry, which I heard was best in order to produce better success with the berries. Anyway, I saw that only some of the flowers turned into the start of blueberries. With the rest of the flower 'buds', the white flowers themselves fell off (likely during windy days in the past two weeks), but there's no sign of a blueberry developing from those buds.

Why would some of the flower buds produce blueberries and others not? Does each individual flower need to be pollinated in order to produce a berry?

Also, did I hear that sometimes you'll get more than one 'batch' of berries each year....and if so, how does that work....do some flower 'buds' simply get pollinated at different times of the year? Or will the same buds that were already pollinated once this year....once the first berries are ripe and I remove them, will they then start to develop new berries again...one or two more times in the year?

Lastly, in the past week or two I suddenly noticed a bunch of new leggy shoots coming from the plant. Is this good or bad considering the time of year? Should I leave the new long shoots....cut them back to promote more bushiness?

Tx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question on blueberry shrubs

Yipee,

Might not have had good pollination which could explain why you did not get many berries.

BB only have 1 crop a year.....you sometimes get some flowers at odd times but up north not as a rule.

Let the shoots grow to the point where you want more branches then you can snip out the apical (top) bud and they will branch out.

o
RE: question on blueberry shrubs

The more blueberries you plant the better your pollination success will be granted there are a significant numbers of pollinators and the flowers don't get damaged by late frost. you can also plant things to encourage our pollinating friends to stay near your home. many people kill clovers and reseed with grass for a more attractive lawn but clovers are nitrogen fixers and all bees from honey to massion love the clover flowers. there are many other plants you can plant to attract pollinators and not all pollinators are bees they can be bats, birds, insects, and lizards just to name a few. many also eat plant eating bugs also, so it's a win win. Google has some great things you can read up on. I'd start with blueberry pollination New York

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here