Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Runner plants of everbearing strawberries?

Posted by lsoh 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 17:52

This web site, http://www.nal.usda.gov/pgdic/Strawberry/book/bokelev.htm
apparently USDA, says that for Ozark Beauty, "Mother plant very productive, runner plants usually produce no berries."
1) I've read that some everbearers produce fruit on unrooted runners. Does this statement mean that A) unrooted runners won't fruit? Or does this statement mean that B) even rooted plants that were grown from runners won't fruit?
2) If it means that even rooted plants that were grown from runners won't fruit, is that common among other everbearing strawberries?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Runner plants of everbearing strawberries?

Isoh:

I didn't visit your USDA website, but if it says what you say it says, it is misleading.

Why would any strawberry, Ozark Beauty or any other, produce decent, full-size fruit on an unrooted runner? To do so, it would have to obtain all its water and soil nutrients through the little old runner stem. Does that make sense to you? It certainly does not to me.

When a strawberry plant sends out a runner, and you pin down the end with the little rosette of leaves to the soil, it will root and produce a plant that is identical in every respect to the mother plant. Berry production may occur in the following season, but the number and quality of the berries will be the same as the mother plant.

If you have runners, pin them down and root them. I don't know why any USDA website would say they won't fruit. Stop reading this stuff.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

We've grown Ozark Beauty for the last 8 years expanding the planting areas with the runners. They don't fruit as much 1st year, but do fruit if we let them. It seems that year 2-5 are the most productive for us. The flavor is great here in western WA and I have no complaints about the berries. Keeping the deer away from the plants is our challenge.

o

One of my strawberry patches is Ozark Beauty and I let it expand with runners. I give it minimal care, meaning I just let the first year runners fruit and they are productive. So much so, that I, although single, cannot keep up with them, even though I freeze about 20 quarts a year. I don't notice if they don't bear like the older plants, but they do bear fruit. I wonder what made the USDA post such a thing. My guess is that the strawberry plants we buy at garden centers or through the mail-order retail outlets are runners.

Todd

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here