Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall rasberry blooming now

Posted by queenskitchen 6B/7 (NYC) (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 17:53

Is it odd that all of my fall bearing rasps are starting to flower now? They were cut to the ground or an inch or two above, prior to growing this spring. I didn't think that they would bloom this early or that they should be. Anyone having this problem this year. Can it be because of the colder temps of the last month? Overcrowded canes in the containers? Too much fertilizer? Any other thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall rasberry blooming now

What variety is it? Heritage? Caroline?

My Caroline canes are still growing. They probably are only half way there and will start blooming in July.

o

Anne, Caroline, and I think the heritage also.

o

According to OSU, the fall=bearing will produce a small summer crop at the bottom of the old canes and a fall crop at the tip of the new ones. Did you cut the canes to the ground after they fruited last year? See link in "raspberries not breaking dormancy" thread.

I'm wondering why my Killarney and Encore both are blooming with fruit developing now since Encore is supposed to be mid-late summer.

o

Follow the flowering canes down to soil level -- are they actually primocanes, or are they shoots off of the stubs of last year's canes?

o

"Follow the flowering canes down to soil level -- are they actually primocanes, or are they shoots off of the stubs of last year's canes?"

Yeah you got it! Queenskitchen didn't cut the canes down all the way to the ground, and they resprouted. So they are bearing a summer crop! I heard when this happens they can be prown to disease, best cut them again, this time right to the ground.

o

shazaam-
That is probably it. Does that mean that i wont get fall raspberries on those canes (therefore anything that fruits should be removed once fruiting is complete)? The pots are so overgrown it will be hard to tell what is new and what is a shoot off the old cane stub. I didn't cut all the way to the ground but definitely will next year.

o

The new canes (primocanes) should be all green. But yeah it would be hard to tell because of flourocanes coming from the stumps. Probably green too! Again I have read it is best to just remove these, as the low growth and stump is prime-time for fungus. Forgo the summer crop. If you want a summer crop next year, only remove top third. I myself am expecting over 150 berries from 3 canes on the summer crop of ever bearing Fall Gold cultivars. So I am harvesting both crops. I disagree with the academics and others who say you should skip this crop. It is as big or bigger than the fall crop. I think it may depend where grown, as some I have talked to are unable to harvest a large summer crop. I seem to be having no problems at all. The plants grew numerous more laterals and are teeming with buds. I counted over 30 flower clusters on 3 canes. Sorry but it seems silly to waste 150 to 200 raspberries.
The only negative is the primocanes are smothered by these old canes. But I guess on summer bearing one has to deal with this too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here