Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I know if I need to net for the 17-yr cicadas?

Posted by jayco 5b NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 18:02

So I have seen 3 adult cicadas and 4 cicada shells on my property in the past 2 weeks or so. I've been scouting them pretty closely. I can also hear them in some neighboring areas. But I have not seen any large numbers of them anywhere near my house.

I have read that they can be near you but not come to your house. How do I know if I need to be covering my young fruit trees?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I know if I need to net for the 17-yr cicadas?

How old are your trees? I read that trees planted within the last 3 years will be the ones that are most vulnerable. If it's older than that, it will likely be able to withstand the cicadas with no issues.

Also heard that ornamentals are more at risk. Perhaps fruit trees will be ok?

o

I think maybe I'd paint the scaffolds and trunk with a diluted white latex paint and water mixture and see if that helps ward them off those important areas. I'm not an expert at all on fruit trees, so this is just an idea!

I've had them get my roses, though. The slit they make is no problem for an older rose (they heal so well), but it can hurt the younger ones. I saw a slit the other day on a rose that I'm thinking may be them. I've only seen one shell this year, but maybe they really like roses? I'm not sure which plants they like best out of plants they do like.

I'm watching things, too. My orchard is very young, and a big brood was predicted for my area.

o

I think the danger is to the pencil- sized wood on fruit trees. I have an apple tree that is 4 years in the ground and that's what I'm worried about. Don't think trunk paint would help... It's the smaller wood where the females lay eggs.

Anyway my main question is: when/ how many do I have to see before I run out and net it?

o

Well, I've had more than 4 in my house. I see four on the deck looking out the window. The daylilies under the oaks are covered with them. Half my shrubs look from a distance like the tips are dying. On closer inspection, the brown is just cicadas.

I don't think you are even close to having problems.

o

Thanks, mad gallica. Thats just the kind of first hand info I was looking for. Weird how they seem to be dotted around.

I hope you get by without more damage!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here