Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Cameo apple tree in San Diego?

Posted by Pwnie San Diego (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 18:10

Hello, all.

I have lived and gardened in Tempe, Arizona for the last five years. About four months ago my sister brought me a grafted Cameo apple tree. I grew it out indoors under T5 grow lights and it is now a happy, healthy three feet tall!

I am moving to San Diego on the 1st and the majority of my plants will be coming with me. My question is, how will the Cameo fare in San Diego's climate? I haven't been able to find information on this cultivar's required chill hours. I know some apple varieties can be grown in Southern California - I never expected the tree to grow large or produce fruit while in Arizona, but now that I'm moving I'm hoping I can plant it outdoors and maybe have a productive tree one day! What are your thoughts / experiences?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Cameo apple tree in San Diego?

Well, depends on where you're moving to San Diego. San Diego proper, or around San Diego? We have SO many microclimates out here. If you're right, RIGHT on the coast, you may not have the fruit set you would have if you're a little bit more inland. Cameo is widely adapable to our S. California climates. Probably on par with Fuji for chill hours. A bit more than, say, Anna, Golden Dorsett, Pink Lady or Beverly Hills, but it should perform just fine for you. Welcome to San Diego county! And yes, many, many apple varieties will do well here.

Patty S.

o

Cameo is on my short list too for Fall planting.

o

Aw, thanks and I appreciate the information! I will be staying in Encinitas on the coast for the first two weeks (where plants will be kept inside to protect from salt spray) but we are looking for a house inland and closer to the city (I will be managing a brand new nursery in North Park - check it out if you're in the area!). It's nice to know I can expect good things of my sapling. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here